Lifting

I'm almost 10 weeks pregnant. We went to the Dr. yesterday and everything looked great and the heartbeat was strong. Today I work, I didn't think before I lifted a tub of mail (I work for a printing company and do paperwork for the USPS, occasionally I have to lift tubs of mail onto a cart to move from one place to another) anyway, these tubs weigh anywhere from 1-50 lbs and the one I lifted was pretty heavy, probably 40 or so lbs. I was fine when I lifted it, but when I set it down and went back to my desk I started cramping a little. Should I be worried? I'm not cramping anymore, this happened earlier this afternoon.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The same thing happened to me and I spotted. I quit my temp job asap.
    Anonymous

• My doctor tells me to not lift anything heavier than my daughter (who is 20 pounds). I wouldn't worry, but try to avoid the heavy lifting from now one.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 10:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Standard rule of thumb so long as you're not at all high-risk, or don't spot:

You can lift what you're already used to lifting, you just can't suddenly lift more. Me, I've got docs approval to lift my daughter (32 pounds).
    Anonymous

• My doctor told me that I can still lift any weight that I could pre-pregnancy. The concern is that, as you progress in your pregnancy, your ligaments loosen and stretch which increases your risk of pulling a muscle. I've gotten the cramping too (although not with lifting) and my doctor told me that I was just feeling the uterus and ligaments stretching as they grow. Check with your doctor and listen to your body. This is your pregnancy - no one can tell you that you have to do something (or not do something) that you don't agree with.
    ccfunk

Answer by ccfunk at 2:08 AM on Apr. 24, 2010