Does anyone know what kind of car seats a preemie that is under 5lbs goes home in?

i have a friend and the NICU said something about a special car seat that the twins would be going home in does anyone know what the NICU is talking about and does anyone have a picture of what it looks like. I am just wondering and so was my friend. If u have a picture of it please post it so i can see what it looks like and how does it work?

mocaprincess

Asked by mocaprincess at 10:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call the hospital. they rent the seats out to families who have babies that small. if you look at the hospital's website they should have some information on it, or google it
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• We had a regular car seat. Our little guy was 4lb 5oz at the time. It wasn't a special seat or anything. But he did have to pass a car seat test before going home. Basically they just put him in the car seat for 30 minutes and monitored his breathing and heart rate to make sure he was ok.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• b4 they leave the nicu the test the carseat
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 10:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Most car seats start at 5 lbs. I brought home my daughter at 4 lbs 0 oz. The car seat the nurses in the NICU recommended, and what we got that worked great was the Chicco Key Fit 30. It starts at 4 lbs.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I got the Chicco Key Fit for my dtr who was 4lbs 10 oz when she was discharged.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 11:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• for babies that don't pass the carseat test there are ones that lay down flat in the seat of the car, I believe babies r us carries them on the website, if not the nicu nurses will know where to find them
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:30 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Congrats on bringing the babies home! There is nothing like walking out of the NICU for the last time. :)
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:54 AM on Apr. 24, 2010