My son may have get his tonsils removed!

My son is 3 and has been having problems with his tonsils for a couple of months now. I took him to the doctor and they said he should probably have them removed! What do you guys think?? Its kinda freakin me out!!

Stephanie0709

Asked by Stephanie0709 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My little boy had his removed the end of Feb. this year, just a couple of weeks before his 3rd birthday. He had his tonsils and adenoids removed and tubes in his ears. It was rough going, I won't lie. It took him a good 2 weeks to be back to himself. He had alot of EI's and always had a runny nose and cold like symptoms. The doctors also thought he might have sleep apnea. It was hard but it is the best decision I've ever made for him. If you have questions about the recovery, let me know.
    Good luck!
    WayattsMama

Answer by WayattsMama at 6:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• What kind of problems? ..Some kind of desease or did he injure them some how?

Anyway, They probably know what the best thing is for him and I'm sure they'll put him under, right?
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 11:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Just now read it was his tonsils....I first read toenails....sorry...

Tonsil removal is quite commen,, and you should not freak out - he will be just fine, and it will probably spear him some painful throat infections, like strep and such.

Hang in there Mama :-)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 11:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• my daughter got hers out right after she turned 4, her tonsils and adnoids were to large. she breathes better, she isn't getting sick as much (got sick once or twice a month for more than 6 months) and she doesn't wake up at night like she did. It was one of the best things! It's a scary thing especially because its surgery on your child. I cried when they brought her back to the room. I am sure your son will feel so much better! Good Luck!!!
    Melissa_anne

Answer by Melissa_anne at 12:23 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• always always always get a second opinion before allowing surgery! do your own research too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:24 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My son is having his tonsils out next month. He has never had them infected but they still cause some big issues. For one, his enlarged tonsils cause him to experience apnea at night. They also cause him not to be able to breathe well after brief exercise. Eating is no picnic either. It makes him feel like he might choke. It is in his best interest to have his tonsils removed. A second opinion is always great....just keep in mind most insurance won't pay for the second specialist. So that would most likely be out of pocket. A better way would to have your ENT and primary doctor communicate and ask the primary doctor if he agrees with the diagnosis and prognosis. If he/she does not agree with the ENT then seek out another specialist for their opinion. I'm looking forward to the day my son will breathe easy, eat better, and get less illnesses as a result.  Surgery is no picnic but the result is worth it.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:22 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My daughter had hers out when she was just barely 2. They took her adenoids and put tubes in her ears at the same time so recovery was a bit rough. I definitely feel it was a good choice, her immune system improved vastly afterwards.
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 7:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Thank you to everyone, I definetly feel better about it!!
    Stephanie0709

Answer by Stephanie0709 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2010