How can i get my 4and a half month old to sleep better through the night?

stokes2828

Asked by stokes2828 at 12:29 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give him/her a warm bath. Make sure he/she is warm and has a full tummy. My twins slept through the night by the time they were 1 year old. Good luck and enjoy your baby. They grow up SO fast!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My son didn't need a paci to sleep until he was about that age. Reintroducing with a new brand (Mams) worked wonders in my house. Getting him off the paci wasn't a problem when he was older, but he needed the comfort sucking more at that age. Also white noise...having a box fan on in his bedroom while he sleeps helps him sleep longer even now (at 2.5) because he can't hear what we're doing in the house, and he can't be scared of the silence if we're not bustling around. A routine is also wonderful. Maybe start 40 minutes before bedtime and give him a bath, get him in his PJs, feed him (breast or bottle, IDK which you do), read a book, then sing a song and lay him down, all at the same time each night. I used to rub my son's back after I laid him down and continue singing softly or humming for a few minutes while he relaxes in the bed but knows you're still there. Have a similar routine (minus bath and book)...cont
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 2:32 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• (cont)...every time he wakes in the night, so he'll know the humming and rubbing means it's time to go back to sleep. Don't turn on lights or play if he wakes in the night, and whisper rather than talking in a normal tone. Eventually he'll sleep better and longer and learn that night time is for sleeping. For now he'll still probably need to wake a few times in the night to eat or be changed, but getting in good habits now will help you out in the long run too.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 2:34 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Wait at least a year...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Wait until he is older. Very few 4 month olds sleep through the night. Parenting is 24/7.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2010