How do babies when they are born with an infection?

My brother in-laws wife had her baby a couple days ago. He had a fever when he came out and now he has to stay in hospital for a couple days before he goes home. So I am wondering how do the baby pick up infection so quickly?

momof2andonly2

Asked by momof2andonly2 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, there are a lot of germs in the hospital...it is full of sick people. that is one of the many reasons i prefer midwives and home births!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Probably a multitude of vaginal exams. Infection in newborns is almost unheard of when mom doesn't recieve vaginal exams, especially after her water has broken.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:33 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My son had the same issue when he was born. I went into the hospital that Friday and gave birth that Sunday. He did not come home until monday because of all the issues he had when he first came out, the fever that is. Well when they got the blood work back nothing was even wrong! Go figure! It may be nothing at all, either way, good luck to them all!
    thebatesfamily

Answer by thebatesfamily at 2:13 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Mine was born with an infection because of my amniotic sac being infected (which I'm fairly certain was because the doctor broke my water instead of letting it happen on its own). Most of the time infections happen because of interventions: water being artificially broken, vaginal exams...anything that introduces foreign objects near the baby, especially after the water breaks. Infection can happen without intervention, but most of the time it's because of intervention.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:00 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• The reason why I am asking is because my brother in-laws wife just had a baby a couple nights ago and when her son was born the doctors found liquid in his lungs and he had a fever when he came out because of that he has to stay in the hospital for another few days before he goes home. I agree with you happy2bemom25. There is a lot of germs and bacteria in hospitals cause of all the sick people who are in there. I remembered when I had my kids they had nothing wrong with them and I had a c-section for the both of them. They never had no infections at all.
    momof2andonly2

Answer by momof2andonly2 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2010