Am I Doing This Right?!!??!

so ds (19 months) has just reacently started acting up. Like saying that everything is "my" which is fine..when it's only me, but today we were at the book store and he was trying to take the trains away from the other kids, then he hit a kid so I put him in time out for a minute..did it again timeout..bit me time out..bit me again timeout again. UGH long story short it's stressing me out that he's being mean to the other little kids and IDK if it's my fault or a stage in which case how the helll do i handle this?!!? I'm freaking out, I JUST started really becomming more confident as a mother and now I am scared of dealing with him growing up IDK what to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• TYpical behavior at this age (and for a while to come). I know how stressful it can be but remember if isn't your fault. Kids do this stuff. Stick with your current approach. Biting back and/or spanking is just going to get your into trouble down the road. When you have the option, give one warning/timeout, then leave if the behavior continues. I know this isn't always possible but if he can't have fun, he'll learn fast what he needs to do. If leaving completely isn't an option, put him in a stroller or take him out to the car for a bit then try again. If nothing else, pulling him aside will give you a few minutes to take a few deep breaths yourself!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Say NO, we don't bite. Bite him gently and let him know it hurts. Tell him it make people sad when you bite them. He WILL get the message. It worked for my kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Butt meet hand!! Sometimes you have to be firm and try some real discipline... otherwise, he will walk all over you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Sounds alright. After having to get on to him the first time at the book store I'd have told him if he misbehaved again that we were going home. That's just me though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• bite is not good, one day his gonna take a kid and bite the hell out of them you should start giving him long times out or start lightly spanking him in the butt or tap his mouth, so that he;ll get scared, please im not say abuse your child just let him nasty a lil bit of his own medicane, if you know what i mean,.. when my son soesnt listen i spank him he needs to know what i say goes, i never mark him or bruse him, and he nows not to mess with me!!!
    Anonymous