Did you know that schools receive money for every ADD/ADHD child?

So they have lots of interest in declaring your child with ADD. Americas children are over-medicated. Medicaid records in some states show infants less than a year old on drugs for mental disorders. Read this: http://www.naturalnews.com/028640_psychiatry_infants.html

cristinaberger

Asked by cristinaberger at 1:07 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• yes i knew that..and they also get payed for every kid that attends school everyday.but the adhd kids..they get more money for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• That is one of the reasons why I had my child tested by the professionals at childrens hospital instead of through the school district. How can you trust them to be objective when they work for the schools and the schools have an interest in declaring your child special needs? Sadly that same money is seldom used to give special needs kids the resources they need.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• they also get paid for every kid they graduate! my daughter who has Asperger's should have never have graduated, had the learning skills of a second grader...school fudged eveything and graduated her for a check

My other daughter was tested for Autism without my consent...so they could get a check! after I was done with that school I am pretty sure they aren't doing that again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Well that explains the ADHD fad. This is absolutely disgusting. People wonder why the schools are in such a mess. No wonder, if they don't allow kids to be kids and drug them up all for the sake of a check. I'm so glad I homeschool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• People, get your facts straight before going off on things you obviously know very little about.

Yes, schools do receive funding based on enrollment, but it isn't all that much AND those funds can ONLY be used towards special education services - NOTHING ELSE; They can't pay for football fields or teacher's salaries w/those funds. As for getting paid to graduate students, that depends on your state & district b/c not all schools have those programs & they are typically not limited to special education students. AND, schools only receive funding for sped students who have an IEP, not a 504 Agreement, AND who are receiving specialized services outside of the regular curriculum, so if your ADHD child only has accomodations, there is no additional funding for that student, but if your ADHD child also receives speech services, then funding is provided for the speech teacher's services. It's not as black & white as you think!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Also, schools CANNOT LEGALLY declare your child with ANY MEDICAL issue. They can't even say "I think your child has ADHD" because that is a medical diagnosis. Schools can do some psychological testing, but they cannot suggest anything. Only a doctor can diagnose autism, ADHD, etc. Schools do not get more money for every ADHD kid, at least in my state. They get a special education allotment, and if they have more kids than the allotment covers, oh well. And the article you referenced is about infants and toddlers. I do believe that kids are overmedicated, but I've also heard parents begging for diagnosis because then they can get money for having a "disabled" child. 2 yr olds should not be diagnosed bipolar, because the brain is not developmentally ready to display the signs of bipolar. There is a LOT of misinformation in this post.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 1:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Okay I can tell you for a fact that schools do try to push the diagnosis of add or adhd on students. I worked with special needs before I became a SAHM. Also, my brother was in middle school, and was having problems with a particular teacher. He had this teacher for three years. By the 8th grade, the teacher was writing him up every day. He flat out said after the fact that he didnt like my brother because he played football and that other teachers treated him better because of it. Anyways, the school sent my brother to the school counselor, who then decided without any testing or anything, that my brother had ADHD, and he needed to go on medication. My mom was furious. He didnt go on medication, and he graduated high school with a 3.9 GPA. He never had another problem in school again. They do get more money. And they do have to use the money towards Special education. But alot of times they use the money to free up money in
    Anonymous

• other areas. They will spend it on a teacher who is certified to teach both special ed and basic ed. Or use is for special busing then have a few special ed students and pack on basic ed. Believe me the system is severly slanted. And the sad part is it is hurting alot of children by branding them basically and teaching them there are no rules for them. Once you are labeled with a disability it is extremely hard to be prosecuted for a crime, you are protected by the disability act. There was a boy who was labeled with an emotional disorder and he raped three girls on seperate occasions and the school and his parents are being sued now because they couldnt get any justice in the court system. It is sick and the system is just getting worse. So is govt. This is getting ridiculous. We have decided only to have one child because of the down turn in society. I am homeschooling my daughter because of this.
    Anonymous

• ignorance at it's finest
    Anonymous

• ADHD is NOT considered a learning disabilty.
    Anonymous