Sleeping question about 2 month olds

I have a two month old girl. She only sleeps for about twenty minutes to an hour at a time during the day. She falls asleep about 3-5 times a day. She sleeps from about 11pm – 9am in the morning. She awakes at 3am to feed and goes right back to sleep. But that’s it. My first baby slept almost all day at this point. I drink coffe one cup in the morning and im bf so I was wondering iff the coffee is doing this to her. Or maybe this is normal. I don’t know. She just fights sleep all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i am also a new mother my sons 4months old and from what i went thew......he didnt sleep alot in the day but then some days he did and still to now he takes cat naps but then some days sleeps a few hours at a time like 3-4times a day but every night for the past month an half he has been sleeping thew the night and tell the truth a few times i wake up at 9:30-10am and he still be sleeping but wake up happy for the day....when he was about 2 months he would wake up about 4am and eat and go right back to sleep....so i guess i think its normal....but i am not bf i am ff...but he does fight sleep in the day but sleeps all night no problem.
    Mommy2LJ2009

Answer by Mommy2LJ2009 at 1:28 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• It's normal for some babies. Some of them sleep constantly and some never want to sleep. My first never slept and the second slept like a rock, constantly.

Try a wrap or a sling and she might sleep more... but I wouldn't really worry.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:44 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• It is normal for your daughter...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:20 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My daughter isn't a big napper. She'll usually take two naps but they are only about 20 minutes long. Every now and then she will nap longer, but not very often. When she does I'm always thinking, man, I wish I knew you were going to nap so long, I would have done ____ . LOL. She's 8 months old now, but she's been like that from very early on.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My son was like that. He didn't take a good nap til he was 8 months old. He slept at night good though only waking every 3 once in a blue 4 hours (contrary to what may say, THAT is actually sleeping good at night for a NB lol)

I think if she's getting plenty of rest at night, I wouldn't worry as much as if she were doing that round the clock. It wouldn't surprise me if she WAS though.. Those pesky immature nervous systems persist until the 3rd or 4th month when sleep tends to improve slightly (say, going from nursing for 45 and then sleeping for 45 and then awake again!) to nursing every 1-3 hours daytime and nursing every 2-3 hours nighttime.

I think she's absolutely normal. I would not expect real naps til your child is much older if she's a cat-napper.
    Anonymous

• Also, don't expect her to keep sleeping like that at night (if she does, you should throw some sort of party about it lol). she might decide to get on an every 3 hour schedule or suddenly decide she DOES want to sleep in the day ... only to not want to sleep as much at night.. or she might start waking up constantly at some point (usually a growth spurt).

I hope she keeps sleeping that way at night but she probably won't.

I would put a cat-nap baby in a wrap if it were me ;)

Anonymous