My baby's head is measuring 3 weeks ahead of schedule.. should I be worried?

I had a 3d ultrasound tday and the tech told me that my baby's head was very large and measuring about 3 weeks ahead of schedule. I had an ultrasound 3 weeks ago at my drs office and the head was measuring perfect at 26 weeks. Im so confused? Could this dr be off or has my baby's head grown that much in just 3 short weeks? I asked if I should be concerned, and he said "possibly." Im scared something is terribly wrong. Has anyone else had this happen and what did it turn out to be? Thanks in advance for any answers?

LucysMom08

Asked by LucysMom08 at 1:56 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well considering that your due date is only a guess, and you could really be 2 weeks further along. AND ultrasounds are in no way reliable for measurements ...if i were you i'd just take a deep breath and relax.
    Actually, i'm considering NOT having any ultrasounds done specifically for reasons like this.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:02 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I guess it's just strange that my due date has been July 7th for the past 29 weeks and just with the head measurement tday, it said June 17th. But the other measurements still said July.
    LucysMom08

Answer by LucysMom08 at 2:04 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• It's not all that strange. the measurements can easily be wrong. and all kids grow at different times and different rates.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Hes probably off. My babys legs were measuring 3 weeks behind until just last week. It turned out that my doctor wasnt getting her whole leg because it was shoved up in my rib and couldnt be seen. Just relax and express it to your doctor and he will double check and make sure every thing is okay. Dont stress about it it is most likely nothing and then you will feel dumb for making it into a big deal, I have done it plenty of times with DS and this baby..
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 3:22 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I was told throughout my second pregnancy that my son had several "markers" for downs syndrome....short humerous bones, short femurs, that his weight was low. They scared the crap out of me. Had me have 9 ultrasounds and the end of my pregnancy and scared the crap out of me at everyone. I spent my entire pregnancy anxious and depressed. My son was born and was absolutely fine. Scored a 9 out of 9 on the apgars. Didn't have short bones and his weight was perfectly normal. So I don't put a whole lot of stock in ultrasounds.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:06 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My son measued 3 weeks bigger all along, when I got close to my due date they started to urge me to be induced and I refused. He came 3 days prior to my due date and weighed 7 lbs 3 oz with a normal head. They "predicted" over 9.5 lbs, so don't get worried. I am a firm believer in your body will not make a baby that you can't have.
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 7:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• oops I mean measured, silly me!
    Julians_Momma