To buy or not to buy, that is the question. LOL

I found a swing set for my son with lots of nice features. I do not like the idea of a wooden playset. I do not enjoy the idea of all the maintenance and upkeep it would need over the years and basically once it is put together, it ain't moving. LOL Anyways I found one by step2 and it is plastic with lots of nice little bonuses. We are renting with plans on buying next year so I think this one would be easier to bring to our new home. My sister says the price tag of 899.99 (no tax or shipping costs) is too much to pay for it.

Here is a link to the set: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4010509

In your opinion, is this a good idea? Is it a good deal? We plan to have more than one and we are purchasing it for his personal use and our convenience.

thebatesfamily

Asked by thebatesfamily at 2:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 899.00 when you are renting? I was a renter when my kids where little,,,heck Im a renter now with teenagers,,,lol,,,,ok,,,as a renter in the beginning and saving for a home, I took the kids to the park. After you get into your home,,,you can get all the extras,,,including the fancy deluxe swingset,,just hang in there,,,the park is beautiful and the most wonderful memories I have of the early days with my kids...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Wow, that looks like a nice playset. If I could afford that, I would get one for my kids. We have a smaller wooden one that came with the house. If the previous owners put it in when they built the house it would be about 12 years old. It still works just fine and is safe and everything but it is starting to look bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Just want to point out that plastic breaks down overtime and gets brittle. I don't know how long it takes these newer sets to get to that point though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• We keep waffling on whether or buy a swingset or not for our son.. At the moment, he has far more fun playing with other kids at the park than by himself at home.. Although it does look like a nice set, I'd be concerned about warping if it's in a very sunny spot. I'd also look carefully at how it gets bolted together. Plastic isn't as strong as wood if the set gets a lot of use. You may also find that taking this set apart when you move is a far bigger hassle than you expect. Personally, if you have parks near by, I'd stick with that and put the money towards your house fund.
    Anonymous