breastfeeding in public

I was wondering, what is your opinion and WHY? I am a breastfeeding mom and feed my daughter in public a lot. I use a nursing cover and no one can see my breasts, so what's the big deal? I don't ever just uncover and BF for the world to see, but that's just me. I think as long as you are covered with a nursing wrap or recieving blanket then there is no problem. I have noticed a lot of bashing lately on here. Please don't bash, just give your opinion.

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 2:37 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i see people walking around the mall with pretzels or popcorn, doughnuts. whatever.
    when people are hungry they eat. and a baby is a person.
    as far as covering up goes, to each is own. it may be polite to others to cover up or go to the bathroom, but i don't think that's very polite to your child. Many babies hate eating under a blanket or cover and they also don't understand that they can't eat as soon as they are hungry.
    breasts were designed for nourishing infants and toddlers.

When i finally get the chance to breastfeed, i will probably feel more comfortable covering up, but if i don't have a blanket or something handy nothing is going to stop me from feeding my baby when he or she is hungry. and i should not be looked down upon because of that.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:03 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I think it is perfectly normal,,,,,:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I was a bf mom exclusively... all 3 kids.

I think if you can avoid to nurse in public it is the most polite. I really see no need to make a show of it. I dont take my lunch and sit in the middle of the mall and eat.... why do that with your child. Im not saying to hide... but why just sit in the middle of the place and do it.

I was VERY discrete. I never used a nursing blanket, because it screamed "nursing". I just took the regular blanket and put it in a proper position to be discreet.... most thought my child was sleeping.

I have nursed in my car, the movie theater, while hiking/walking, in Nordstroms bath (nicest I have found), in a corner of the food court, in many places with out making a show of it.

it is the wacko nursers that give the rest of us a bad name.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• i totally agree with outstandinglove! I breast fed both of my kids. I didnt really go out as much with my first because i didnt know how people would take to me having to breastfeed every 2 hours for an hour, he liked to eat... alot! But with my second I felt more comfortable about it. I always had a blanket on me and wore shirts that alowed easy access. ha. I was in the middle of the food court feeding my second son when someone came up to me asking if they could see the baby not knowing i was feeding him. So that shows me that having a blanket on doesnt "scream" nursing. But even if it did OH WELL! I wish more people would be accepting of one of the most natural and best things a mother can do for her baby.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 3:20 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• The other day I was driving and I saw a Native woman breastfeeding her child in the open no cloth or anything. She was not thin and the child was at least 1.5 she was sitting at a bus stop facing traffic and it made me feel great! I think using a cover should be a choice but not a rule. Breast are for feeding it is only our own stingma that limits us! I bf for 7 months and I only pumped (latching problems) but when I saw that lady I was over joyed because that is natural that is the way it should be....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• IMO, America is so scared and embarrassed by nudity. It is very sad. Breastfeeding is the most natural thing to do and people here are actually weirded out by it.Why? Because insecurity is what is destroying people here. Go to Europe and see the difference of how comfortable and very secure people are with themselves there. A world of difference. BTW, I am originally from Europe and this is coming from actual experience not just opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Do what you gotta do is my opinion. Baby needs to eat and if the passers by don't like it, then can eat a huge bag of dicks. When I breastfed my children, I tried to time my errands around his feeding, but otherwise I was discreet and covered up. I was more worried about my veiny, swollen boob being exposed than anything else.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I breastfed in public up until recently, and at first I tried to cover, but then quickly realized how hot and uncomfortable and stupid and ultimately futile that effort was! Now he only nurses at night, so I don't have to worry about it anymore.
    Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 4:19 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Babies have the same right to eat in public that everyone else does.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• i breast feed/ fed in public. my kids did not like to be covered with blankets either. i have seen pictures of me breast feeding, and there is not much to look at. honestly, less skin showing than what a lot of people regularly show, and that is without a blanket. i don't understand why people have a hard time with it, if it makes you uncomfortable to do it, then don't do it...most importantly, if it makes you uncomfortable to see it, then look the other way!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 24, 2010