I'm 30 wks and have only gained 5 lbs.

I just read that I should be gaining a pound a week, but I'm losing at least that each week. I had gained 8 pounds total.. and then it just switched to pure losing and no gaining. Ultrasound says my baby weight 3 pounds, like she should. So its ok? I was underweight for my height and age when i got pregnant. If I'm still eating the same, and more most days.. why am i still losing weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i was the same with both my pregnancies. I would actually be losing weight untill about the 8th or 9th month. As long as the baby is growing as he/she should and the doctor has not changed your diet or have any other concerns then I would worry about it.
    ISLUVZOLIVIA

Answer by ISLUVZOLIVIA at 4:13 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• As long as you are eating like you say you are and eating healthy too and the baby is growing then you and baby will be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Honestly, I'm 38 wks right now, I've only gained 9 lbs since my pre-pregnancy weight, BUT did lose about 8 or so during the first trimster. So I guess that means I've gained 17lb back? IDK but they scold me all the time 'cause they look at it as only "gaining 9lb" and trust me you'll def gain the most in the last 4 wks or so, my tummy changes shapes and sizes in the last two alone lol....
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 4:41 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• if you are eating what you were before you got pregnant, when you were underweight to begin with, then you may want to start eating the recommended amount for the average pregnant woman. those ultrasounds can easily be off in weight estimates.
    i wish you both good health!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:34 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I've come to learn during this pregnancy that not every pregnancy are alike, nor do the same things happen for that matter lol..i'm 38 weeks pregnant with my third and I weighed 165 when I got pregnant on my chart, and now i'm only at 172, which means i've only gained bout 7 pounds the whole pregnancy, and 5 of that I gained in ONE week last week when i'm supp. to only be gaining 1 pound or staying the same, but I was like u, and gained one lost one, but they say my baby will be 7 1/2 pounds if I carry to my due date, and that's big for me when my 2nd, which I gained 11 pounds with was only 7 lbs.(and I got stretch marks with), and my 1st was only 6 lbs. 14 oz. and I gained 30 pounds(and didn't get the first stretch mark!!). So, I mean, the whole weight pregnancy thing is hard to understand b/c we lose, gain, lose, gain but in the end our baby's are healthy, and so I wouldn't worry:)~
    JackieO69

Answer by JackieO69 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• The ultrasound is not a good indicator of the baby's size.

You've got plenty of time to go. You could give birth safely and healthfully to a 10lb baby. Unless you feel bad or have complications, keep eating the right foods and moving around. Stop worrying. Your baby gets those worry hormones and biochemicals.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:25 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Your weight gain is not an indicator of your baby's weight. I am 28 weeks and have only gained 5 lbs - and wasn't heavy to begin with! I only gained 16 lbs total with my 2nd son and he was 7 lbs 14 oz. The dr will let you know if he/she doesn't think you are gaining enough weight and how you should handle any weight he/she does want you to gain. Just make sure you are eating healthy foods - don't focus on trying to pack on pounds that are just "empty" and you will have to lose after baby is born.

Answer by missanc at 9:36 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I am 30 weeks. I lost 12 lbs then gained then gained 5 lbs back to techniquely i have lost 7 lbs. but the baby is developing fine.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My OB would be proud of you. I was only allowed to gain 15 pounds the whole pregnancy. Besides you still have a couple of months and baby will put on the most weight during this last trimester. You are doing great.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• im 28 weeks almost and i havent gain anything and the baby is growing fine i know i lost 11lbs and then now im at my pre preg weight i was a couple lbs over but now im at my pre preg again so as long as the baby is growing and is fine your good
    Anonymous