Could efffects of Autism be reversible?

A new discovery raises hope that autism may be more easily diagnosed and that its effects may be more reversible than previously thought. In a new study appearing online in The FASEB Journal (http://www.fasebj.org), scientists have identified a way to detect the disorder using blood and have discovered that drugs which affect the methylation state ("DNA tagging") of genes could reverse autism's effects. This type of drug is already being used in some cancer treatments.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-04/foas-nso040810.php

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Interesting! I will have to do some more research on this study, but I always get excited at the prospects!

Thanks for sharing! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:13 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I especially appreciate this quote"

"For far too long, autism research has been side-tracked by the cranky notion that it's caused by the MMR vaccine," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "Studies like this, which define genetic and epigenetic changes in discrete subgroups of the autism spectrum, offer real hope that effective treatments and accurate diagnosis are closer at hand."

Hopefully productive research in autism will continue and not be side-tracked like it was for too long.
    Anonymous

• Ok so does this mean that the outward effects are just minimized? What about how the individual thinks? Do they still think and view the world like a person with autism or does that change too? Those are the questions it raises for me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:25 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• wait , can you plese explain this a little more easier for my cousin to understand she's not too good with E nglish. And can't tranlate because Im not good in her lanuage. god only knows I tried. but she doesn't get me. thanks.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2010