Am I wrong for feeling this way? I'm kind of upset because my 17 year old son is dating a girl who is partially black.

This girl goes to a different school district about 20 minutes away and my son is always asking me to drop him off at the park near her house or the mall. I have been doing it, but don't feel right about it. I know people on here are going to call me racist, which I'm not, I just would rather have my children date their own race. I was thinking about looking for excuses why I can't drive him to meet her and hopefully the relationship will go away.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 8:13 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• umm wether you like to admit it or not that statement that you made "I just would rather have my children date their own race" is extremely racist. Dont make your children that way too.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I applaud your honesty, I'm sorry this bothers you so much but it is your sons discission.Is she a nice girl? Have you met her? Maybee you should have her over for dinner .Would that really hurt anyone? I would talk to your son , ask him if it is serious.Obviously you are somewhat racist if his dating a black girl bothers you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• You feel the way you feel, so share that with your son and explain your reasoning. That is between you and your son and you are not a racist for feeling that way. Racism is about feeling SUPERIOR to those of another race. Being a mom and wanting your child to date a person of his own race does not mean that you feel superior to those of other races.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:20 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• No, I'm not racist, I think that there are alot of people out there who would rather have their children date withing their race, I'm just being open about it.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:20 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• neebug3766.........I don't want to say anything to my son because I afraid he'll purposely go after black girls, so I was thinking maybe I could just look for excuses why I can't drive him.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:24 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• op, your statement defines a racist, you shouldn't be looking for the color of their skin but what makes your son happy.

Answer by older at 8:26 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I know plenty of black mothers who do not want their kids dating white kids either. I don't consider that to be racist either.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:28 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I'm sorry but you are deffinetely racist. you may deny it all you want but you are. its not just thinking your superior either. My nephew is half black and white and if anyone didnt want their child to date him for that i would be pissed! we are all human, color doesnt mean that they wont take care of your loved one or make them happy and love them. Let your son decide what he wants to do. otherwise you will ruin your relationship with him. his happiness is what matters isnt it?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:30 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• neebug, I know plenty of black mothers who do not want their kids dating white kids either. I don't consider that to be racist either.

They are racist too!

Answer by older at 8:34 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Of couse his happiness matters, but why can't he be happy with a white girl. Obviously I'm not prejudiced if I raised a non-racist child, which shows that my husband and I don't say negative things about other races. We raise our children to not think that they are better than anyone else and to except others for who they are.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:37 AM on Apr. 24, 2010