constipation?

My 8 month old seems to be getting more and more constipated these days. its been like this for a little over a month. at first she just got constipated once a week but now its more like 2 or 3 times a week. should I be concerned?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 9:24 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can add apple juice or some prunes or prune juice to her diet and see if it helps. If my LO doesn't have a 50/50 cup of apple juice a day she won't go for 2-3 days. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:30 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• No. It is very common. You can try water. Offer your baby a daily serving of water in addition to usual feedings. Start with 2 to 4 ounces (about 60 to 120 milliliters). Try more or less as you gauge your baby's response to the water.
    Feed her fruit juice if water doesn't seem to help. Give her a daily serving of apple, prune or pear juice in addition to usual feedings. Start with 2 to 4 ounces (about 60 to 120 milliliters), and experiment to determine whether your baby needs more or less.
    If your she is eating solid foods, try high-fiber baby foods รขโ‚ฌโ€ such as barley cereal and pureed pears or prunes. Avoid rice cereal.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• What are the symptoms, and what is her diet? Constipation in infants is passing dry, hard pellet like stools. Infrequent bowel movements, especially in an EBF baby, are normal, and usually require you to do nothing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Cut out the cereal and other simple grains; also cut out meat.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I agree that prune juice or baby food prunes should work, also when one of ours had constipation the nurse at the doctor's office to try sitting him in lukewarm water for a little while. The sitting in the water worked for us and I would suggest sitting them in the tub, it's easier to disinfect, if you know what I mean.
    You might ask what molasses is used for: they told us that for either constipation or diarreah, I don't remember. I hope she gets over this bump in the road and feels better soon.
    izyandchrismomi

Answer by izyandchrismomi at 2:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2010