Question about the bible

I seen another post about the bible, and had it brought to mind a question of my own...

If Jesus came to Earth, was God/son of God, etc etc etc..., why was the bible then necessary in God's eyes? Wasn't his son enough of a message? And why have it written by man, and not Jesus himself then?

(note: this is not with the intent to bash, I'm truly curious about people's opinions about these questions.. and I don't want to see any bashing on this either or I will close it).

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 9:35 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think maybe as a handbook for future generations. Like old stories from your family, memories fade and they are lost forever. The Bible is a Divine Revelation. In the Bible we find out what God wants mankind to know about Himself and His plan.

The Bible is the only written revelation of God to man.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I agree with neebug, besides that Jesus really had enough on his plate IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• We can only make assumptions about questions about this. God had his own devine purpose for the life of Jesus and Jesus fulfilled that purpose. Why he did things the way he did them I feel some of that will not be answered until the great by and by. I feel although it has no barring on the real message of what Jesus came to do. That was to go to the cross and die for the sins of mankind. Why he even chose to do it that way, we will never really know, but I do know his way is perfect and I am satisfied with that.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I also agree with neebug
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:22 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Jesus was absolutely enough! However, we needed a written account of what transpired during his time on Earth as well as the time before He came to earth. Jesus didn't write it Himself because he had already ascended to Heaven after it was written (the New-Testament). The Old Testament was already written and revered by Jews.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:38 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• neebug, your theory seems to be the most sound and reasonable. I was just curious as to everyone's opinions...

ruttermama: I know Jesus had already passed well before the books were written and compiled. I only asked why he didn't perhaps write it himself. His own accounts, much like a diary.

M2K: that was why I asked wasnt' Jesus enough then? He is said to of preformed MANY miracles. Before him word of mouth was just fine. It carried the stories of Moses, and Noah, and Adam and Eve, did it not? Sure learning from a book teaches many, but it then leaves things open for interpretation. Such as Shakespearean writings. There is a right and wrong way to look at it, but the right way may also have many different angles. Besides which it wasn't the direct source. When you write a novel and the author isn't the direct source, continued below...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• you don't get a true feel for the character. You don' tknow their true emotions or their heart, what they were thinking exactly and why, you just get to watch someone from the side line. Like being a spokesman during a football game, sure you can run a play by play, but aside from expressions, it's hard to tell how the players actually feel. Sure you might see them excited after a touch down, but what thoughts went through their head, why pick that play, etc etc etc. These are things that a lot of people would have liked to have known. It would have also made the stories that much more compelling to EVERYONE.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Like the book, "A child Called "IT". The author is the boy who lived through it. Very moving story. If someone, say a neighbor wrote the story, the credibility of everything is then questions. It lacks complete emotions. It would never really tell the whole story then. And it DEFINITELY wouldn't have sold as many copies as it did, or had nearly as many readers as it did.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• okay, let me also point out, that I'm more more in reverence to the NT not the OT.. That's a whole other subject matter really.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Not everything in the NT was prophetic writtings. Most of Revelation was.

Hazeldove :-) I think the best answer would be that God has reasons for doing things the way He did. He has a destiny for each and every one of us. Jesus destiny was to die for all mankind and He chose the disciples to be the witnesses to this account and to write it down for future generations to come. Holy Spirit came and breathed within them the things that needed to be written. Not everything was written down because the miracles of Jesus was so many it would have taken many more books to record them all. When John wrote the things he wrote there was a part where he was instructed not to write something down and that was the words on the scroll that he saw in.
    Each person that wrote a letter were inspired by God to do so.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2010