help with getting a high supply of breast milk again.

my baby is four weeks old now and for the first two weeks i was breast feeding but then i started feeding her formula too. but now i think my breast milk supply has decreased and i've been trying to get it back to being high again. i tried eating oatmeal and that isn't working and im nursing my baby constantly but i still feel like she isn't getting anything, even though milk does come out when i squeeze my nipple. so how long does it take for my milk to start flowing good again? and no bashing me please i already feel like a bad mom for giving her formula.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It probably has...but it should be pretty easy to regain your supply. Start keeping her at the breast as much as possible!! Her sucking will stimulate the production of milk. If you use pacifiers, this is the time to get rid of them. Meet her sucking needs at the breast. If you are away, I would say you need to use a HOSPITAL grade (medela symphony) every 2 hours for atleast 15 minutes on each side.

Some people use herbs such as Mothers Milk Tea or Fenugreek to help supply.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• No more formula and nurse, nurse nurse. No more artificial nipples period (pacis etc). Instead of putting her in a swing/bouncy just hold her and watch a movie on the couch and nurse, nurse, nurse. You can also get a sling and learn to nurse in the sling.

Your milk supply will rise up as soon as she nurses a lot. You can also co-bed or co-sleep. Put her in a bassinet right next to you, or lay down with her in bed all day and night and nurse and nurse.

Your body WILL produce more milk as soon as you nurse a lot.

Also, what makes you think your supply is low? Around this time the supply evens out. If you nurse her on demand and she is having 6-8 messy or pee diapers, she's FINE. Also, after 4-6 weeks you can expect her to poop less than she did before. She also may be going through a growth spurt if she nurses constantly. Constant nursing is normal and it is just the way newborns are. It gets better, I PROMISE
    Anonymous

• Honestly? You've got to ditch the formula to get your supply back to where it was. If you're using a lot of formula, cut back every few days. If using only a little, just drop it. Nurse on demand. As long and as often as baby wants. And what makes you think your supply is low? Why did you begin the supplements? Those answers can help us help you. When EBF, you want to be changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period. If you're doing that, then your supply is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• You may want to pump more often and possibly take in more of a fatty diet. You should have your baby latch on more often. Consult with a laction to help you with other options.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 6:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2010