21 month old "spanking" me?

We have figured out quickly that spankings don't work for our toddler. We used to use them only if nothing else worked, or if he did something dangerous. Well the other day he got the windex and sprayed it all over him, in his mouth, and on the carpet. I took it from him and spanked him. He decided to spank himself also. That drew me as akward. Well later I went to get the windex out of the cabinet and he ran up to me screaming no and hit me on my butt. I realized spankings won't work for him at that point. I haven't spanked him since, but anytime I don't do what he wants, or something I tell him no to, he hits me. How do I get him to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Inform him that you are the adult and he is the child. My son back talks me and tells me "no" whenever I want to take a shower or anything that doesnt involve him. I just get down to his level tell him that im the adult hes the child and he doesn't get to tell me no. Thats the end of that.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• That's tough, but the good thing you got out of that is that he knows right from wrong. He knows now that the windex is not supposed to be messed with. As for the hitting, I think the only way that you can get him to stop is to continue what your doing. Once he goes a while not being spanked by you he will realize that he doesn't need to do it anymore because mommy isn't doing it anymore. Tell him how much it upsets you when he spanks you. Hope I helped even a little
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• He is only mimicking what he's seen you do. To him now no one should touch that bottle of cleaner etc...You will need to [more than once] explain that he is the child and you are the mommy and that means there are different rules.

Mine tried to correct me verbally the way I correct them; No sorry you don't get to talk to Mommy with that attitude. Mommy is in charge so she gets to tell you to pick something up; you are not so you do not. etc
    Anonymous

• Take hold of his hands and while holding them firmly say "no, hit", its best to do this before he actually hits you.
    Anonymous

• You told him that hitting solves problems.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2010