Toddler tooth ache?

My 4 yr old has a tooth ache. I've given him some tylenol but we still have at least a half hr before it kicks in. I want to get him in to the dentist but we can't do that until my DH gets home from for sometime between 4-5 (if we're lucky and everyone shows up for there shift). He's just miserable cry and everything. Its very hard to handle cause it makes me hurt for him.
I know if he can just go to sleep that he won't feel it. I have some benydryl that I can give him to try and get him to sleep. (He does need the sleep he was up most of the nite in pain.) What would you guys do? I have no way of getting him to the doc or dentist before my DH gets home. I don't drive and I've got 2 other toddlers and NO family anywhere even close. (the closest is over an hr away). I just don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Motrin or tylenol is the best you can do until you see a dentist. It sounds like he has an abcessed tooth (infected). I was a dental asst. for over 10 tens, one thing that worked for adults in that much pain believe or not was ice cold water, they would just hold it in their mouth. Do not put heat to the area, Good Luck.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:38 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I wish I had motrin. I know that it works better than tylenol. I've got him holding a very cold rag to his cheek but he's not old enough to understand that once the burning and initial shock hurt is over that it will numb it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Apr. 24, 2010