stupid question

okay so i got a dog from the shelter last week & she's house trained and all but i didn't know she is terrified of thunder...well she refused to go out last night to potty so i wake up around 1am and find poop in my living room then i step in pee.... i really like this dog but idk how to get her to pee outside even if it is raining

so i guess the question is how to get a housetrained dog to use the bathroom outside even if it's raining....or what should i do (never had a dog inside before)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Pets

• If she is scared of storms , you can desensitize her to them. But it will take some work on your part.   Check out this site it gives some good tips http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2174&aid=2545    The important thing when she shows fear is to ignore her.  When you pet or talk to them you are telling them you like this behavior.    As far as going out when it rains, my dogs hate being out the rain as well.   I make them go out and if they won't do anything they have to go in their crates for a bit and then I will take them out for a bit. If they don't go the first time they will go the second.  they will not go in the crate so that helps keep them from messing in the house on those rainy days.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Good question..I don't know, lol.
    I'm assuming you'd have to somehow help her conquer her fear of thunder first.
    Don't know how you would do that one. Call a pet store maybe there is someone on staff that has knowledge about that.
    My first thought is to just pick her up and make her go out, but I guess that would be kinda mean,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:04 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• she will not go i tried lol she jujst trembles and tries to run up the stairs ... i even tried letting her go on my portch (rather clean it up out there than in my house lol)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My dog is the same way. I got this 9 year old Cockerspaniel from a Shelter several years ago. A+ Dog all the way! But he is terrified of storms and rain. He doesn't want to go out either, so I have to make sure I go out with him. Sometimes I physically move him out the door with me. We have a pretty big porch area, so I can usually get him to go just off the porch on the side of the yard. Also, I did read where you can give the dog Melatonin to calm him down during storms. Do you have a garage? Another option would be to keep her out there during storms.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:21 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• well i don't let her go alone i take her on a leash b/c she chases the outside cat and i have 2 outside dogs in the back fence and they'd eat her up lol i'm at a loss, maybe she'll use the portch lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Why do you have two outside dogs? Are you sure it's a good idea since they could "eat her up?"
    Anonymous

• Doggy Raincoat might work?? or There is also medicine(sorry the name eludes me right now) that you can get for your dog during Thunderstorms to help take the edge off a bit. Btw my Greyhound used to do the same thing HATED the rain or snow till I got him a coat. lol G/L
    Anonymous