are you sending yout child to pre-k this year?

my son will be old enough to start pre-k this aug. I just dont know if IM ready to send him... Hes my first baby... I cant grasp the thought of watching him ride away on a school bus alone.. I feel he really needs to go to school and he is ready, but im not.

im sure i will cry like a baby. Lol. I was just wondering if you were sending your child to pre-k or waiting the extra year and going right to kindergarden?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 11:02 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i want to send my dd to pre k but it's hard to get into anywhere around where i live she's ready but i'm not lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My son is in Pre-K this year and it has been so good for him. He goes to Pre-K at the school he will be attending for Kindergarten. They get to go to the library, eat in the cafeteria, have music, p.e., and art. I honestly feel like he is 100% ready for kindergarten because of Pre-K.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:07 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• omg i thought i was only 1 i am scared to death i took him 2 fridays ago to reg and he got too see his class room when we got in car he was cryn bc he didnt wanna leave and i was cryn bc im going miss him.. my son doesnt talk too well so im making him go too get help with being around other kids i think this will do him good and i thnk he will love it i have too think about him instead of being all about me .. u know
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 11:07 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My oldest just turned 4 and he will be starting a pre-k program at a Christian school this year. We love the program he is starting, and was thrilled when he passed the entrance test. Im still not 100% comfortable sending him. I hate the thought of him being away from me and his little brother all day. I am going to give it a few month and if he doesn't adjust well or the curriculum isn't challenging enough then we are planning on pulling him out and continuing to home school until he is 6 or 7.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 11:12 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Our 4 yr old has been going to Preschool this year 3 days a week & he really loves it. He & his younger sister are 12 mos apart & are always together, so we thought it would be nice to give them some time away from each other. I'll be starting him in kindergarten this fall (home schooling), so his sister, will go to preschool 3 days a week. It has been a good experience for our son, so I'm happy to let his sister go for a year before I start her in kindergarten.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• We didn't send my older stepson last year, partly because it would have shortened the winter holiday visit to their bio-mom's. He will be starting kindergarten in the fall. We did the pre-k in home schooling, which we'll do with the younger one. I know it will make my MIL upset, keeps trying to tell me we'll get arrested for not having him is school and neither of us are trained teachers. She thinks she's an expert in everything so I just ignore her.
    I've never seen the need for pre-k anyway. I've actually been verbally attacked because my kids never went to pre-k. Despite my telling the attackers that our little town didn't even offer it. I had 23 kids in my senior class for pete's sake.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Where I live they have 3 year old head start and 4 year old pre-k. I love them both. My kids have a chance to interact with children their own age and have a great learning experience all at the same time. My 4th grader is in TAG (talented and gifted program) and reading on a 6 or 7th grade level... My kindergartner is working on a second grade level. Reading chapter books, doing fractions, telling time and counting money. My little head starter is just beginning sight words. Adding. Rhyming and so on. I think it's a great opportunity.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:30 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• when my first was old enough, she did not go to school till kinder. Now, YES i am sending my 2nd to prek, for my own sanity.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Going to send my 3 year old son to pre-k this August we hope. Also going back and forth on our daughter. She'll be 1 in July, and the school we are looking at for our son offers from 6weeks to 12 years, (different age group classes). I have been looking at school, and going back to work at least part time to help DH. As much as I love being home with the kids. I also like that they will be around kids their age, and he gets prepared for school. He's a big mama's boy, and she's not big into ppl, getting better, but still not great. Hopefully in a few months we'll know what to do
    angeleyes0306

Answer by angeleyes0306 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• The first few days were the hardest but when you see him come home all excited to tell you or show you what they did today; or tell you all about their new friends your heart will melt ♥

My oldest is about to finish her Pre-K and like the OP *I* wasn't ready for her to go yet; but she has loved every minute of it.

Where we live Pre-K is voluntary but even though it isn't required she's learned a lot there that I would have never thought to teach her at this age. And I would have never known that they expect them to be able to read basic sentences when they enter kindergarten!!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2010