Do you think they could still have room to flip?

I am 31 weeks pregnant with twins and the doctor says that as long as they are both head down when it's time to deliver, I can have them vaginally. But if one or both of them are breech we will have to have a c-section.

Sooo ... my question is ... do you think at 31 weeks they could still flip? They are HEAD DOWN right now and I am PRAYING that they stay that way because I am scared to death at the idea of having a c-section!

And I just keep worrying that when I go for my ultrasound next week one of them will be breech. LoL. What do you think? Do you think they are too big to flip at this point? I know no one can say for sure... just wanted some opinions! Thanks!

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They COULD turn from now until you are in labor. Sometimes twin B turns after twin A is born,, but it's less likely at this point than them staying there.

If one DOES turn, you can still have them vaginally as long as twin A is the one who's head down, since twin B could turn as soon as twin A is born. If twin B doesn't turn, then you could have the C-section (or just deliver the second one vaginally as well, since you will have already proven that your pelvis can accomodate a baby's head). Talk to your doctor about all your options. Breech is not an automatic reason for C-section, regardless of twin status. In fact, Canada has revised it's position on breech birth and now considers breech not to be a reason for C-section unless baby shows signs of distress.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• You need to remember that anything is "possible" but some things aren't likely. At this point they could still flip around a couple of times but it's unlikely. I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Your doc will do regular checks for that so don't put extra stress on yourself. Only worry about it if it happens.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 11:15 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Yes they could still flip until the time you go into labor. Good luck and congratulations! Keep us updated!!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 11:19 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Ati 13 is absolutely right. You can refuse a c-section. Breech is not a medical emergency. Many women deliver breech babies at home, unassisted. Trust your body. A baby can flip at any time. My last baby was a 10 pounder who flipped several times in her last couple weeks. The day before she came she was breech & she flipped back the day she was born. I can say it is very weird. Having a twin do it may not be so noticeable since they are smaller. I did not like the sensation at all! Hahaha! It was like the alien was trying to bust out & why she would have kept doing it is beyond me, as is HOW she could do it. Good luck!

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't think there is enough room for flipping since there are two people in there. And yes you can refuse a c-section. They can do breech delivery, but it's a bit harder and riskier than head down. Heck they can even try to do a version if one of them does flip. I wouldn't worry about it too much as the universe tends to give you what you ask for. But since I never had twins myself I will say one or both CAN flip it's just not real likely that they will. There's only X amount of space left and there are two of them.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Well let me share a little story on this. I went into labor with my son head down, just as he had been for the past 2 months, and shortly after my water broke he ended up flipping sideways and got stuck that way lol. He was an 8lb baby and pretty long so how he managed to do that I have no idea.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• i agree w/ the others that your babies could flip but i think it's likely they will stay head down.

i also agree that breech babies can be born vaginally but i also have to be a realist & say that if you are in a hospital, and your baby is breech, it would be very difficult to not end up w/ a c-section. of course you can look for a birthing ctr, homebirth midwife, or plan an unassisted childbirth.

congrats and good luck!!!
    Anonymous

• If you really don't want a cesarean for that, you might get another care provider. Sounds like you are seeing an OB (a surgeon) and surgery is how they deal with this situation. (Not trained to attend vaginal breech deliveries.)
    But other providers like midwives are trained and experienced and happy to accommodate.
    You might like to change to a provider that can help you to save the cesarean for a real emergency. Twins and breech are variations of normal not emergencies.

Best wishes!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:48 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Yes they could still very easily flip numerous times. There is more room in there than you might think. But don't get to worried. What is meant to happen will happen and like many PPs said, if you really don't want a c-section find a provider that will perform a breech delivery vaginally, it is not a medical emergency.
    cs_1498

Answer by cs_1498 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2010