My daughter is hairy lol

My 3 year old daughter has so much hair on her entire body: arms, legs, and back. She had this as a baby as well but everyone told me it would fall off eventually, but 3 years later she is still hairy. It doesn't really bother me right now I am just worried about when she gets older and it doesn't go away. Are we going to have to shave her back? lol I don't want her to be self conscious. Any advice or similar cases?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 11:53 AM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honestly it depends. Check with both families and see about other women in the past or even men. Often very dark haired people this is more noticeable on.

It will likely thin some as she grows; but it will also likely stay dark. My cousin had very dark hair; not a hair back; but very dark hair and she would bleach the hair on her face so she didn't look like she had 5o'clock shadow; etc...

I wouldn't stress until she's older to be self-conscious; then if it's a big problem still you could consider laser treatments when she's a teen.
    Anonymous

• You do realize that as a mammal, you have hair all over your body, even if you don't know it. You have hair on your back. Only the soles of your feet, the palms of your hands and your lips don't have any hair on them at all. As your daughter grows, like you, her body will change and the hair will most likely stay the blond that it is and thin out just like it did on your body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Yes I do realize this, and I wouldn't have asked if it wasn't extremely noticeable. Also, her hair is not blonde and I never mentioned it being blonde. It is dark brown just as the hair on her head is as well. It was just a question.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• wow that was a pretty interesting answer I must say..... I never realized EVERY mammal had blonde hair?! Good to know though I guess...... Anyway my daughter is the same way, I think it is the background for her (I am part Sicilian). I know I am the same way as her as well.... my hair is very dark and coarse. My back isn't that bad so it doesn't bother me at all however my arms are so thick I have to shave them haha. I wasn't really made fun of for my hair (just the fact I shaved my arms) so I am sure the girls will be fine! Just buy stock in Razors lol I know I go through a ton because I have to shave so often becuase my hair is soo dark! Best of luck to you guys :) I am sure it will all be fine in the end!!
    Bizkviper

Answer by Bizkviper at 2:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Did you take any hormon med's during pregnency with her ?
    My friend was on one and her boy was born hairy, and still now he is 7. Her MD told her that because of her hormon med's.
    Thanks.
    laygla

Answer by laygla at 11:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• No hormone meds, only thing I was on was iron for anemia. That is interesting to know though!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2010