Vaccine Preparation

PLEASE!!! This is neither pro nor anti vaccine!!! We have decided to vaccinate our daughter with the MMR and i was wondering what people have done (besides tylonol or motrin) to prepare their children for being vaccinated. Homeopathy, tinctures, any kind of alternative medicine...
Please, i have done the research and have many people in my life that agree with vaccines and HATE vaccines and have done my own research to see what i am comfortable with.
I understand this is a very contraversial issue but i am not interested in the contraversy right now. I just want to know how you or a loved one helped a child through getting the MMR.
She is just barley 1 years old.

Thank you so much for you understanding and advice!!!!

zoozleroo

Asked by zoozleroo at 12:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• tylenol released a statement about not using tylenol before a vaccine. i have no links, maybe you could google it or check out the vaccine groups here.
    my dh is blind in one eye from a vaccine. for his green card he had to get the chicken pox vaccine, he saw a chiropractor right before and right after the shot.
    it certainly would not hurt to contact a homeopath.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Um, I don't ever remember preparing my child for vaccines. Just go in there. They give them Tylenol there and Boom they give the vaccines and you leave. Not a big deal. My kids never ran a fever or anything. It's not something you have to prepare for. You are making too much out of it. It's an everyday, normal occurrence. Trust me, I've worked at the Dr's office, it's nothing.
    Anonymous

• Yeah we did tylenol before the vaccine and massaged the area after. It was no biggie for any of my kids.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I just did tylenol or motrin an hour before their appointment and it worked just fine, was no big deal
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• she may run a low fever for a while and feel kinda draggy, but its nothing she wont get over in a few days
    Anonymous

• I've read the same thing as happy2bmom25. The latest advice is to not give Tylenol as it can interfere with the vaccines effectiveness. Personally, by 1 I didn't do anything for my son. I had a hug and a treat ready for after the shot(s) then we moved on. I found that by that point he just didn't seem to care. FYI, our pediatrician didn't give the MMR until 15 months (I had expected it at 12 months as well..)
    Anonymous

• The thing about Tylenol is that it decreases the effectiveness of the vaccine a bit so they don't suggest using it as a preventative measure but only if there is a fever, ect. (I also don't have a source that I can send you to sorry)  Um. . . I didn't do anything special except bring a favorite character band aid to use. . . kisses and hugs and something to distract them after the shot (snack or treat or favorite animal) and they forget very fast. . .

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 25, 2010