Wondering how much in home caregivers make? If there are any out there, or anyone that has one taking care of a loved one...would you answer this question please???

My husband's grandmother is in the early stages of dimensia/alzhiemers and can no longer be by herself during the day. She basically needs someone to change her depends, fix her meals and basically keep her company.
How much do you get paid for this job? How much would you charge for this job? How much is a resonable rate to pay for someone who just needs to do basic things?
Around here (IL) we're looking at around $10/hour. Is this reasonable?

What are some other options that she has?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Health

• In my area they make around $7.50-$10 an hour depending on experience. My grandmother had a home health care provider come to her house about 2-3 times a week. Medicaid paid for some of it and the rest, my family paid for.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I have been looking for someone to help with my parents, especially when I go away, or to come in if I have an appointment/ date, event to attend in the evening. I talked to one person, who did live in for a woman with Alzheimers. She told me her rate was $850/week! I can't pay anything near that, even if I do go away on vacation....
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• OP here, this basically would be a fulltime job, because everybody works, but it's almost like we can't afford to pay that much, because then we couldn't afford to pay our own bills. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    My grandfather had an in home 24/7 caretaker and then we would take care of him on the weekends and it was A LOT of money. Crazy...
    I don't know how people afford it. I wonder if there are any insurance plans set up exactly for this purpose? Retirement?
    Anonymous

• There are a few options that you could look into. Does she have Medicaid/Medicare (I always get these 2 mixed up)? They should pay for the majority of the cost if you use a provider that accepts it. If, she does not have this, does she have a house that she owns? Assuming since she is in the early stages of dementia/alzheimer's, that either your or your husband have a power of attorney to discuss her financials, then you may be able to do a reverse mortgage on her house. This would be that they would give you so much a month to pay for medical and care giving expenses. Another option is to check into different home health care agencies and see if they offer financial assistance. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I'd say $10 would be acceptable for basic care. Changing diapers, bathing etc... I would personally charge you more per hour. I made $14/hr a few years ago when I did it.
    Anonymous