Is there any way I can opt my son out of the MMR and chicken pox vaccine?

I am selectively vaccinating him and I have decided I am not comfortable getting him vaccinated with the MMR and chicken pox vaccines. I have my reasons so please don't preach to me about it. I'm not going to change my mind. However, how do I go about getting him exempt from only these 2 for school? I obviously couldn't claim religious reasons because he has had other vaccines. Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• you are getting a LOT of misinformation here. Your child does not need to have those vaccines to go to school. Google the vaccine requirements for your state and it will say which exemptions your state allows. There are 3 types: religious, philosophical, or medical. Not all states have all three, some only have medical, some only have religious. If your state only has religious, then just lie. I would. No one should tell you that you HAVE to vaccinate for something you don't want to. I selectively vax. My children have had MMR, but not the chicken pox and a few others. When the time comes, I'll just fill out an exemption.
    Anonymous

• when he goes in just tell them politely that you dont want those vaccines given to him.
    Anonymous

• I don't think there is a way, unless you homeschool him. Then he won't be around other children, and therefore, he wouldn't be required by law to have them.

I do think you should get them, just because these diseases still exist. More and more people are not vaccinating, and it only takes one person from another country that those diseases still rage, or even one leaving this country to infect others.
    Anonymous

• OP here- Measles, mumps, and rubella are pretty mild if they are contracted. Serious side effects can occur but are rare. Same with chicken pox. Every person I know had the chicken pox when they were young, which is why I think vaccinating for the chicken pox is absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention, you can still get the chicken pox even if you are vaccinated so what's the point!
    Anonymous

• i know if you want your child going to school, you're going to NEED to vaccinate him. I know, at first I was really nervous with the MMR but I opted to space it out. They usually give it at the 12 month check, my daughter didn't have it until she was 18 months. I just waited it out and spaced out all her shots. I will do the same for my son.
    Anonymous

• In CT it is my understanding that we have only medical or religious exemptions to vaccines. But parents can "claim" to have learned more about their religion to say they want the exemption. All they have to do is sign a paper. (It used to be you needed proof from the church about their practices). In other states they also have exemption for "ethical" (I think that's the word they use). Try Googling your state's department of public health.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• There's a philosophical exempt. You can look it up through your health department. You sign something at the school for them to not be responsible if your son does get sick. I selectively vaccinate as well.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 1:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• check out nvic.org...your state may allow a philosophical or medical exemption. if your pediatrician is on board with selective vaccines, then they may support you on that one. you may still be allowed to exempt out on religious reasons,,,but you may need legal help with that.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Your state may provide philisophical or medical exemptions too, but either way you can still claim religious reasons for not vaccinating because you do not need to prove anything to anyone. Separation of church and state laws prohibit the schools from asking you that.

Children absolutely do NOT need to have their vaccines if you provide all the proper paperwork to show exemption. It's illegal to bar a child from public school for not having certain vaccines. Check out http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx to see what your state provides for exemptions.
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Two states in the entire US (Mississippi and Virginia) are the only two who will not enroll any child into school without the all vaccines. How old is your son? You can always choose to vaccinate specific vaccinations at a later time in his life instead of infancy. Some states are more lenient, and others give the school itself the determining decision to enroll non-vaccinated children or not. If the public school system if giving you a hard time, try a private school.
    heykayyy

Answer by heykayyy at 2:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2010