CRYING IT OUT AND SCHEDULING BABY?

IVE READ ALOT OF EXPERT ADIVE, BOOKS AND IVE HEARD ALOT OF REAL LIFE ADVICE. BUT WHEN IS IT OK TO LET THE BABY CRY IT OUT? DO YOU BELIEVE THAT IT DAMAGES THEIR LIL BRAINS? OR DO YOU BELIEVE THAT IF YOU PICK THE BABY UP THAT YOUR SPOILING IT? ARE YOUR BABYS ON A FEEDING SCHEDULE? WOULD YOU FEED THEM IF THEY WERE REALLY HUNGRY AND IT WASNT TIME YET? WHAT IS YOUR TAKE AND PRACTICES ON SLEEP SCHEDULING AND FEEDING SCHELDULE FOR A BABY? WHAT AGE? WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR GENERAL EXPERIENCE AND HOW MANY CHILDREN DO YOU HAVE?

KJ_on

Asked by KJ_on at 1:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have one. and about 8 months i let her cry it out in her crib. i would go in periodicaly and check on her and lay her back down. i just really needed her to sleep in her own bed at night. she put herself on a schedule for feeding. i think you really just have to have balance. my dd has always been clingy and it drives me crazy, and dh says its my fault for holding her all the time. i think some kids like attention more.
    Anonymous

• It's never okay to let a BABY CIO in my opinion. A toddler (past the age of 18 months - 2 ) ? I could see someone letting them CIO and it being perfectly alright, but, I still wouldn't do it unless it was because the child was throwing a temper fit.

I view sleeping as a milestone. If it's not rushed it'll actually happen better and sooner (much like potty training and walking etc.)
    Anonymous

• Actually the more you push your child away, Anon 1:08, the clingier she'll get.

If you indulge them in their separation anxiety issues (which are a NORMAL part of infant and toddler development and signifies the child understands object permanence and that they are separate from you) and give them a lot of love, the heightened clingy episode will disappear quickly. If you ignore the child or force the child away from you, they will only become worse and worse. Some kids are worse than others about this, but as a general rule you make it a lot worse by trying to FORCE independence on them. Forcing independence makes kids LESS independent (look up research on it, it's very true)

I always strongly indulged my son with his clingy episodes and he got over them in a day. Never CIO.

He's a very independent yet loving child now.
    Anonymous

• It is no longer recommended to have a baby on a strict feeding schedule. They are growing at an incredible rate and NEED to eat.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Every child and every family is different. Do what feels right to you. If you feel okay letting your child cry it out, then give it a try, if you don't feel comfortable then don't do it. I doubt your child will become a serial killer or emotional detached because you let him cry for a few minutes and if you don't your child will not necessarily grow up to be a spoiled brat. As far as scheduling go, I think most babies make up their own schedules as time goes on. Good luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My 6 month old is breastfed and eats whenever she gives me cues she is hungry. We have a bedtime routine (Bath, cuddle & sing) and she is in bed by 8pm by her choice. When she shows she is ready for bed, she gets her bath/cuddle/song. Naps, she's pretty consistent with, by her choice. CIO, I heard over 6 months is okay but I personally will not do it and I do believe it will hurt them. I believe a child cries for a reason and I want my DD to know that mommy is there for whatever she needs. Crying is the only way babies can vocalize their problems and there has always been a reason for my DDs cries.
    I just go with the flow, when she's ready, she's ready whether it be to sleep or eat.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• we didn't let my son CIO until 15 months. As for his feeding when ever he was hungry. This baby will not CIO until 15 months either. And I have no plans to make a feeding schedule.
    Nemhs

Answer by Nemhs at 3:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Cry it out is not a sleep training method, it is neglect. The baby cries and you neglect them. There are all sorts of books and "experts" that say all sorts of things about any topic you can possibly think of. It doesn't make it right just because it's in a book or an expert says it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Both you and baby will be happiest if you have a general pattern of eating and sleeping. However, babies and children go through growth spurts, active periods, etc. and if more food is requested...give it...if more or less sleep is needed...adjust. Start writing down when baby tends to eat and sleep...when you notice a pattern start to develop, then start anticipating and before you know it you'll be on a schedule. As for the CIO method...my opinion is there is crying and there is CRYING. Some babies just cry themselves to sleep...its a coping mechanism like counting sheep or sucking on a pacifier or rocking, etc. However, if baby is CRYING and is very upset, I think you need to go in and help calm baby. Both of my kids have burping issues...they'll fall asleep in their backs and then have a bubble come up and need assistance getting it out. This can happen several times a night and didn't clear up until my oldest was..
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• ...a little over six months. So, I didn't let them cry until they're sitting up by themselves. In my case, there has been a clear fixable issue. However, once they're past that stage and nothing I do (except for perhaps endless rocking) helps, then I let them cry. (but not CRY). I'd set a timer in the beginning...give them ten minutes and then go in and soothe. The next time, I'd give them 15, etc. Eventually, they just started soothing themselves back to sleep before the timer went off and all was well. I think the perfect time for sleep training is between 7-9 mo. because they're the most adaptable and are over all the basic newborn issues. Stay consistent with bedtime routines and timing and baby will adapt quickly. Also...whatever you do, DON"T try to keep baby awake so they'll be more tired later. It has the opposite effect. A well rested baby will sleep longer and better than one who is overly tired.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2010