CRYING IT OUT AND FEEDING SCHEDULE?

ADVICE. BUT WHEN IS IT OK TO LET THE BABY CRY IT OUT? DO YOU BELIEVE THAT IT DAMAGES THEIR LIL BRAINS? OR DO YOU BELIEVE THAT IF YOU PICK THE BABY UP THAT YOUR SPOILING IT? ARE YOUR BABYS ON A FEEDING SCHEDULE? WOULD YOU FEED THEM IF THEY WERE REALLY HUNGRY AND IT WASNT TIME YET? WHAT IS YOUR TAKE AND PRACTICES ON SLEEP SCHEDULING AND FEEDING SCHELDULE FOR A BABY? WHAT AGE? WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR GENERAL EXPERIENCE AND HOW MANY CHILDREN DO YOU HAVE?

KJ_on

Asked by KJ_on at 1:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• my baby eats at approximatley the same time every day but i just feed him when he is hungry and he dosen' t cry himself to sleep, i put him down when he is drowsy and he gets himself to sleep (i have 2 kids)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I feed my son whenever he is hungry...but usually is about the same time every day like josiesmommy said. As far as CIO goes...I am 150% against it. There is scientific proof that it can cause nerve, brain, and developmentally damage, and well as social, intellectual, and emotional damage. When you become a mother, you should realize that a crying baby is expected. Either learn to deal with it, or don't have babies. We all get tired and we all get worn out, but there are those of us that step up to the plate and shake it off, and those of us that but ourselves first and leave the infant alone in a dark room, hoping he/she will cry themselves to sleep, while we watch tv.
    Anonymous

• I breastfed both of my sons so I nursed on demand for the first 14 months. I did feed them baby food and then table food at the same time everyday. We have always practiced attachment parenting so no we have never let them just cry it out. I have read that it can cause oxygen deprivation and brain damage.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I guide my children to a feeding shedual as babies. This is not the same as setting a shedual and ignoring their needs. I make sure that each feeding is a full feeding and that the routine is feed, burp, feed, burp, change diaper, play for alesat 30 min, then swaddle and lay then down for nap if needed. I do not do cio because this process that I use rarely ends with my babies crying. The only time my kids have ever "cried it out" is when they are overstimulated, at that point, its best to let them fuss it out. I don't think that crying it out causes brain damage, but I'm sure it affects their emotional development, and strict feeding sheduals seem illogical as nutritoinal needs change as a child grows and the development.

I have 5 children, and the system I use I have used with my last three, and it has worked very well for us and our family.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• here is my own brand on momming.my son has always set his own feeding schedule. as it hasnt changed much in 8 monthes, why change it? sometimes he eats outside of his schedling, however he is hungry for whatever reason. i look at it the same as an adult. i eat when im hungry and stop when im full. if i was truely hungry i wouldnt want to wait until it was a set time to eat. nor would i want to be fource fed when im not hungry. the same princepals apply. i dont believe cio methoud is healthy for many reasons. no, my son doesnt sleep through the night he wake up at the same time everynight. when he was smaller it was a feeding, now its more of a habbit and a comfort. he gets a bottle of water and love from mommy at that time now. that will normaly do the trick. i have worked 8 monthes to show my son that when he needs me i will be there for him. cio would ruin that, he may only need the reasurrance that i am there.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 1:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• (cont) but that is a need. he doesnt have the ability to reason yet and know that i am there. he just know ths he cant hear, or see me. i believe that my methoud is working becuase he sleeps through the night every few nights. during the day when he whines i try to distract him with his toys and playing. but sometimes he just want to cuddle. he will grow out of wanting to cuddle so i will enjoy it while i can!!!
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 1:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I never really had a schedule. When my children were hungry I fed them, no matter how long it had been since their last feeding. We were visiting a family member's home. And her baby was crying and fussy and they wouldn't feed him because he had "just" eaten! They had been there an hour.I also held my children or had my DH or mother hold them as they wanted/needed. I just don't think you can spoil a child by responding to their needs (even if it is just to snuggle) Of course, I only have two children and they are six years apart. :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I have 5 children. With all 5 I was lucky enough to be a SAHM mom when they were babies. Because I was, I was able to feed on demand and not have any other schedule than their schedule for both feedings and naps. I did CIO maybe from 4 months on...like a pp said, only when they were overtired and overstimulated and nothing else would work. I did have to sleep train my 2nd son with CIO when he was almost a year old and still getting up twice a night.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 11:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2010