Do you understand what crying it out is all about?

It's not a lifestyle. It's not like you are never picking your child up or abusing them. It's that you are not catering to their every whim. Rather, you choose to lay your child in the crib or whatnot and let them cry sometimes--- sometimes.. NOT ALL THE TIME. This stuff is absolutely crazy and I have never heard of any mothers discussing such a thing. All children have to cry guys. All children. It is good for their lungs and it does no damage to them EVER. I mean really, what is the deal. It's your child. You are in charge of raising that child for the rest of their lives. But, you have to decide what is best for you. Don't make it into such an issue. Why do you feel that it's something that has to be discussed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• To me CIO is done when you have done everything to comfort your child and nothing worked. So you just let them cry for a while.

Answer by louise2 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I've been reading the debates on this for about 10 years. It is the people that take it to the extremes that make it seem SO bad. Personally, I did not feel CIO was appropriate for my oldest or my youngest, but with my middle child it is one of the only things that I can do with her when she gets upset. If I try to cuddle or console her, it makes it much worse. She needs the time and space that CIO can provide for her.

Every child, and every parent is different and I believe that a parent should do what safely works for their child.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• why are you bringing it up now if you feel it shouldn't be discussed?
    Anonymous

• http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/handout2.asp
    crying it out can be harmful to infants, please research the subject
    Anonymous

• It was something that I never felt comfortable doing. By leaving my child alone in their crib crying I felt like I was not meeting their needs. Even if that need was just to be help or be close to me.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I think every parent needs to decide what is best for their child. Some people agree with cio, and some don't. I personally don't, but it is like everything else, you do what you feel is best for YOUR child, and I will do what I feel is best for MY child. With that being said, this is cafemom, and drama will start over what color the grass is. No one can agree on this site, and everyone feels the need to bash one another.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• CIO is for lazy useless parents who don't want to take on the responsibility of raising their child that they have had. All CIO parents probably formula feed and beat their kids too. If it wasn't for CIO parents we wouldn't have people like Charles Manso or the Son of Sam. I wish I could lock all CIO parents in a closet until the whine and then tell them to bad this is good for you. LMAO
    Anonymous

• THERE IS SCIENTIFIC PROOF that CIO causes nerve, brain, and deveopmental damage! I don't why you think this is not true! It has been proven by science that baby's left to cry for an extended amount of time, grow up to have SEVERE problems! You cannot argue with scientific fact. And to use the "they need to excerise their lungs" excuse is plain ridiculous. Has a doctor every said to you "now make sure you let your baby CIO at least 5 times a day! They need their lung exercise!" UM NO!

It's that you are not catering to their every whim.

When you become a mother, that is what you are supposed to do! Its not like a toddler asking you for a piece of candy, it is an infant maybe even just crying because they want love and attention! That is a need for an infant, not a want. If you don't want to cater to your infants every whim, get a f*ing goldfish! That might suit your BUSY lifestyle a little better.
    Anonymous

• To the anons :26 and :47,all I have to say is...wow. Your heads are really in the clouds!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2010