Would you trust the ultrasound results?

As a disclaimer i'd like to note that i'm very well aware that ultrasounds are not a 100% guarantee of the baby's gender, only birth is.

With that being said...I will be 17 weeks on Monday. We had a 3D/4D ultrasound yesterday to determine gender (paid out of pocket $80...not bad!) and we were told we're having our 4th baby girl!! I'm excited, don't get me wrong, however the position of the baby is questionable. She was laying on her left side, and was transverse, so we didn't get any good open leg shots. The tech seemed certain at times, and uncertain at others. We will have our routine 20 week ultrasound next month and we'll confirm then, just wanted some other opinions. I don't want to take my pink stuff back! lol.

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My doc said she would not trust a gender u/s until after 18 weeks. Before that the parts all look similar. Based on the fact that you were only 17 weeks, I would not go out and buy anything. I would also wait to tell people, until your other u/s.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• They are wrong all the time, like you said you won't know for sure til it is born. I would say most likely it is a girl but I've known people who had a wrong ultrasound.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• i was 2 1/2 months when my doctor told me what i was having, ABOY... gave birth to a BOY. lol, so far i do believe it, you bearly hear ppl getting worng results, it has happen. but not offten
    Anonymous

• Anon :36, the genitals aren't even formed at 2.5 months!
    Anonymous

• If the ultrasound shows very clearly the gender, the I trust it fairly well. But if there is any doubt then no, I don't trust it at all.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• at 16 weeks we knew it was a boy
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• i had mn first ultrasound at 17 weeks. and there was NO mistaking his man parts. and sure enough he came out and there is still no mistaking that he is all male! im going to find out around 18weeks with this one too.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 2:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Even though they are not 100% they are still pretty accurate at determining gender. Even if they couldn't get a real good picture of your baby's genitals, they can still kind of assume the sex by the size and shape of the baby's skull...girls tend to have smaller skulls than boys. HOWEVER I have heard that it is alot easier to mistake a girl for a boy than it is to mistake a boy for a girl.
    Anonymous

• i had my unltrasound when i was 17 weeks!!!.. found out i was having a lil boy it wasnt quit clear to me but my doc was sure it was, i just went back to my doc on my 20th week..and still its a Boy so with that being said its a strong possibility that its a girl, but i would say wait til ur 20th week to buy more girl clothes just to be on the same side!!!
    lscott2208

Answer by lscott2208 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I would say most likely they are right. My cousin was told at 15 weeks that most likely (70%) that she was having a girl and it was confirmed around 20 weeks. I was told at 18 weeks and then at 21 weeks that my last was a girl. But I did have a friend told three different times by three different techs that she was having a girl but a boy came out!
    Anonymous