What are everyone's thoughts on two years of Preschool!?

We started looking into Pre-schools in the area and the big thing is two years of pre school... they call the first year Pre-School and the second Pre- K. Our daughter is turning 4 in Nov. and they suggest we enroll her in the Pre-school program. I'm just not sure about two years of "pre" school though. Is it really needed, especially if we work with her at home. I guess I would understand if she had a speech problem or learning problem the earlier the better. Just wondering if anyone else was batteling the decision or how the vetrans felt! Thanks

Bizkviper

Asked by Bizkviper at 1:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think its completely unnecessary. My son is 4 and im still debating on sending him to pre-k in Aug. We are still trying to decide if we will send him or homeschool for the first few years. Until he is 6 or 7.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• im anti preschool,i teach my kid and i wanna enjoy him till he really has to go to school
    Anonymous

• My DD started school at 3 so I could take morning classes at the university. We have an awesome pre-school on campus and she LOVES going. I still get to enjoy her after school and it is only until 12 so we get plenty of time together. She is an only child so the socialization for her has been great too.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 2:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• my son did 2 yrs. He didnt turn 4 until nov 30th so he missed the pre k but i still put him in a preschool class. It was just more expensive and when aug came around he got to enroll in the pre k. He gets to start kindergarten this yr and i feel like he is sooo ready.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• if they let them start at 3 i think it would be wonderful, the earlier the exposure the better...
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• preschool is just a fancy way of saying "Day Care". Pre-K is a glorified Day Care. Unless you are unable to teach your child the basic skills nessisary for Kindergarten, then pre-k is not nessearly nor is it required.

Many people don't even realize that even kindergarten is an optional grade. The State of Georgia only requires children age 6-16 in school of some type.

My third child is entering Kindergarten in the fall. I have been able to teach him everything he needs to know (plus half the first grade curriculum) if I had been unable to do that, I would have put him in pre-k.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Why is everyone in such a hurry to get their kids out of the house?
    Anonymous

• Why is everyone in such a hurry to get their kids out of the house? -because they are ignorant on how to properly raise a child. So instead of raising their children themselves they have government employees do it and they call it "pre-k"

Anonymous

Paying someone else to do it doesnt bother me one bit as long as they are being educated. I don't mind paying them and having some extra money for myself to do things i enjoy and buy things i want. I even learned that i wasnt doing enough when i first took him to preschool so maybe those who do choose to stay at home really should check and see if your kids are on the same level and that you are doing enough at home. 3:02 you really sound like a jackass.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• 3:02 here

my local elementary school just tested my 5 yo for the 2010/2011 school year and they suggested he go into first grade instead of kindergarten. They said he will be bored with the kindergarten class since half of them will be coming into school without even the basics (like ABC's - and those are PRE K kids!) My son is already reading on a 1st grade, first quarter (?) level(I have to re read the paper they sent me to see exactly how they worded his reading level).
    Anonymous