Is it appropiate for my 12yrs old son to join myspace?

My 12yrs old son wants to be part of myspace and for me I don't know if I should let him. I wonder what is the appropiate age to let him join. Please ladies I need advice on this issue.

vero0108

Asked by vero0108 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• NO - The terms of service for MySpace state that you have to be 14 to join so he'd have to lie about his birth year to get on. And Facebook the age is 13. My youngest son is 12 now and waiting til he turns 13 in July so he can join Facebook to chat with his friends, his older brother that's away at school, and several of our relatives.

Why teach your children that it is okay to cheat in order to go onto online social forums?!?

And MySpace - it is the worst for sexual predators, solicitation of advertisers etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My church just did a big thing about kids and appropriate ages to use myspace and facebook, stuff like that. They said a lot of things I agree with. It is up to the responsibility of the child, but make sure you have full access to his page also. "friend" him if you want or have his password. Check it often at first and let him know it is always a possibility that you will check it again. Give him more freedom the more responsibility he shows.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• does he really have people he needs to keep track of online? If you do I would check it everyday honestly, my niece has one and her parents do not check it often enough.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 2:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I'm a parent and he is a 12yrs old kid, so me as his mom I think is a bad idea. I think now in days, kids expend to much time in the internet and less time with family. Not only that but how secure is myspace. They share a lot of their information with people they don't know.
    Anonymous

• For me, 12 is too young unless you're looking for trouble.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I had forgotten about the age restricitonss, it had been so long since I signed up.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I made my daughter wait until she turned 13 for myspace. Both me and her step mother are her friends on it. She knows she's got us watching and doesn't get in trouble on it.
    Anonymous