Can Americans just go across the border and live in Canada? Why can't I move there and get free health care?

I mean, shouldn't they open their borders to anyone who wants free health care and a better life? I shouldn't have to get a visa or a passport, should I?

What about England or France? Can I move there without applying for a visa or residency?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• well since I'm an immigrant from the US to Canada.....

there's a TON of red tape to get through before they will allow you to permanently move here.

sure it may be "free" but we have long wait lists, and not much freedom to get our own second opinions. you have to go through your GP (family dr) to get a referral for anything specialized. you see a family dr for everything then get shuffled off to see someone else, even the pediatrician. once you see your specialist you can't just keep seeing them.

we do have a lot of freedom in that if you go to the hospital for anything you are covered. but....an ambulance costs, and there are things not covered.

if you want to come to Canada - there's protocol. they will weed out the "just coming for the medical' people.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Why would they do that?
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 2:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Actually in Canada you don't have to live there to get health care. I had a friend who was injured while snowboarding in Canada and they fixed him up and sent him on his way and never even ask for his name and did not care that he was not from Canada.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 2:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Trying to prove a point?

Pointless
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• If you get hurt in Canada yes you can get free health care, but you cannot just go over and get a free health exam. You have to be a citizen unless you have an emergency and are already in the country.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 2:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Why would you want to do that? Their free health care stinks. I know because 1) I lived right next to the border and 2) I have a lot of Canadian friends.
    Anonymous

• OP here. I have no health insurance now, and we are pretty poor. Shouldn't Canada let me move there? Are there any restrictions? Can I get welfare once I get there?
    Anonymous

• Funny, I have yet to see a Canadian post here and say that their HCS is bad-only Americans who "Claim" to know someone......

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I think the OP is being sarcastic here. LOL

NO, Canada actually has pretty damn strict immigration laws, and won't welcome your illegal ass mooching of their system.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Canada has some of the worst healthcare around. My cousin lives in Canada and had a lump in her breast. She went to her doctor who put her on a waiting list 8 MONTHS LONG so to get it checked out. Thank God she came back to the US and had it looked at and thank God it wasn't cancer because if she would have waited 8 months in Canada, she would have been SOL. Nice preview of what's here to come in the US.
    Anonymous