Can a Bus Driver Issue a Citation??

Yesterday I was coming home and saw a bus with the lights flashing red on the side of the road. I stopped right behind the bus, about 50 feet from the actual crosswalk.

The jerk behind be started honking so I could hurry and pass the bus before the kids began unloading. I did not move up, but once the kids were finished crossing the cross walk I moved up a little bit so the driver behind me could stop flailing his arms and realize that it wouldnt be much longer. I moved up a little bit and the bus driver wrote down my license plate number!!
I am really concerned because I didnt do anything, and I am scared that I will get a ticket in mail?? I have a clean driving record. Never even been pulled over. Ever. UGH I am so upset :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• How do you know that the bus driver wrote down your license number?
    Anonymous

• Bus drivers are trained to write down license plates of peple who PASS the bus. If you didnt pass the bus then I wouldnt worry about it, who knows what he was writting down. He could have been tallying how many kids got off at that bus stop.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Yepp they sure can and its complete BULLSHIT! All they have to do is write down your license plate number and what you did, send it to the police station and the police will get your information and send you a ticket in the mail! I came up to a 4 way stop right at the same time as a bus. I was there first by a few seconds so I went to turn left past the bus and in the middle of my turn, she put her lights on and pulled the stop sign out. Mind you when she stopped at the stop sign, no lights or anything were on and I had no clue she was dropping kids off there, I thought she was just stopping! So I continued my turn because I was in the middle of an intersection, she wrote my license plate number down and also drew a picture of my car driving through a crowd of kids! I got a ticket in the mail, had to go to court, which the judge didn't believe me, and had to take a defense driving class. I was beyond pissed. Now contd..
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• whenever I see that bus driver, I roll my window down and give her the finger. She completely lied on that form and I was not in the wrong at all. Bus drivers are not qualified to deem what is illegal driving, unless a person literally goes around a bus with the stop sign out.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• "whenever I see that bus driver, I roll my window down and give her the finger."

Girly.... that is bad! You should stop that!

Two small children here in Georgia have been killed at the bus stop this year. I am all for tougher laws about traffic around stopped busses!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Yes, the driver can pass your info on- If the sign is out and red lights are flashing, you must, by law, stop. I've heard bus drivers honk the bus' horn if  a drive tries to pass. It's obviously a safety issue for the kids existing the bus.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:46 AM on Apr. 25, 2010