would u take a pay cut of 20,000 a year to be closer to family

my moms fiancea is looking for a job .
he has two places hes interview for. One in mesa ,az were his kids live and my mothers kids and grandson. Or st louis where theres no family or friends. just an extra 20,000 a year with a little possibility of being transfer back to az in a year or two years.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• We actually did this a few years ago. It was well worth it. Since then my husband has gotten a promotion and has his old pay rate back. It was difficult to adjust to me changes for the first few months but we learned to live with it.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• It depends what you're making to begin with. If it's $200,000 then a $20,000 pay cut isn't that big of a deal. If it's $45,000 then yeah, $20,000 is a very large chunk of money.
    Anonymous

• What you're describing doesn't sound like a pay cut, but more of an additional $20K for the one job. In that case, it would depend on how much I was already making and how well we were doing on it. If I was already making enough to get by comfortably and the $20K really would be extra, then I'd probably take the job closer to family, as long as there was still room for advancement (as in not the same job at the same pay for the next 20 years). If I was struggling on what I was already making and the extra $20K would actually help mine and my family's lifestyle and well-being (i.e., get us out of a deep hole of debt, stop a routine of living paycheck to paycheck, etc.), then I'd probably take the job with more money. So it depends on circumstances.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I agree depends what the income is...20,000 more for us is fortune and we would take it! But if you have a higher income and are comfortable then maybe its not worth the trade off. BTW I am in chandler, AZ.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on if they are happy with their job. My Husband could easily make $20,000 more some place else and doing other jobs (he has a few degree's in completely different fields), but he is doing what he loves where he loves to be. So, no, we would stay close to family and have.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Nope!! It has been proven that family life makes up just a small percentage of a child's personality. They are much greater influenced by other environmental factors... So why is it worth it to loose the income? Nope... I wouldn't give up $20 a year, much less $20K...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• In this economy I would take more money. They told him he might be able to move back to AZ in a few years so it kinda sounds like a win win.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 12:41 AM on Apr. 26, 2010