RE: my question on pre-k

I asked who was sending their child to pre-k this year and someone replyed that they had taken their child to show them their classroom... Do all schools allow that? And when do you register your child? We are moving june first, is it to late to do so then or does every school have like an open enrollment day or something? Lol im clueless here.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 3:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Any school should allow you to take a tour. If they tell you that you can't visit and tour the school, I would be seriously suspicious and wonder what they were trying to hide.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• you can usually take your kid anytime. I would call the school and ask when the best time is. A lot of schools do have an open enrollment and sometimes they get full classrooms and arent able to accept anymore kids so you should call and find out about that too. If the class doesnt get filled though i'm sure you can enroll anytime
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Most Preschools are doing screenings this month. My daughter already had hers. The schools here actually send the teachers to your house so they can meet your child.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• It really depends on your state, your area, and/or the school. I live in GA and we have GA funded pre-K. Most of the schools have at least 1 or 2 Pre-K classes, however, you they are hard to get into. I actually had my son registered at a local daycare/preschool that offered the GA Pre-K. I did this in case he did not get in to the school pre-k. With the school Pre-k, we had to go on a certain day, fill out paperwork, show proof of residency, shot record, health check, etc. They then took all the applicants and did a lottery drawing. There were 40 slots for my son's school and he got in. We did not get to go on a tour until about a week before school started. With a daycare/preschool pre-k then most of the time, they will let you take a tour before you even register.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• The school we are using actually closed registration in Feb. but it had a limited number of slots.
    My friends son is in the public Elem. school and they did their lottery drawing Mar 1. and all 110 slots were filled the same day.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Yes they should allow you and your child to take a tour of the facilities and meet the teachers/director etc before their first day.

Where are you moving to? You don't have to tell me here; lol but basically you want to search for pre-k for your new city/state.

Some states; like where we are in FL; offer state funded Voluntary Pre-K. Here it is for 3 hours a day. Some of the schools required the parents to send their child the whole day and then offered a discount for the 3 hours the state covers and some like where I send my daughter also allow them to attend the half day program which is the 3 hours. My DD goes from 830-1130 5days a week.

The VPK program here is run by the county early learning coalition. We had to provide her shot records; and register with them and the school we choose; which was just calling to verify vacancy and filling out forms.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• our preschool has an open house - the kids get to see it, and the moms get to meet some parents and the teachers.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't put my DD in a preschool that didn't allow me to see it first. We went to 3 different ones & we knew right off which was the right one. I put my DD on the waiting list when she was 18 months old! My DD's preschool is registering right now!
    Anonymous

• I took tours of every school in my area I was interested in. Both public and private. I spoke to teachers and the pricipals. I talked to parents and when possible students who went to those schools. No school was perfect but I had strong ideas about which were my top options. We went with a private Montessori school. A little over a thousand a month but the only thing not perfect was the price. We cut back and he goes to a school he loves and one I wish I could have attend when I was his age.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2010