Virginia to teach gun safety in elementary school classrooms. Thoughts?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/24/virginia-teach-gun-safety-elementary-students/

I'm not sure where I stand on the school teaching this, but I have long thought police officers should conduct safety training in the classroom. If you remove the curitosity you remove a lot of the danger.

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 3:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I think it is a good idea. I agree, if you remove the curiosity you remove most of the danger. My boys are only 2 and 3 and dh has showed them his gun numerous times (unloaded of course) and talked to them about what it does, what it is for (hunting) and what never to do with it. They also know that they are not to touch the locked gun case (even though it is in a place they can't reach anyway). But if parents are teaching it at home (which if you don't have guns you most likely won't) then it needs taught at school.
    Anonymous

• they teach it in oregon elementary school classrooms....they teach kids what to do if they see a gun or other weapon, they teach lockdown procedures, they lock doors and windows, close blinds and have kids hide under their desks. they actually had to use it this year...turned out to be nothing but the kids saw a couple fighting near the playground and the man pulled something from his pocket that scared several kids... the school was put on lockdown procedure until the police came to check....they just teach them what to look for so they can be cautious. its a very good thing considering all the crap that does happen.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Educational day is about 6 hours for most students, what academic subject will they sacrifice if this instruction is implemented? English, Math, Reading, Writing, History, Science, PE? I think K-5 grade students need to focus on the basics, rather than this- sorry academics are more important, IMO.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• sorry academics are more important, IMO.

Way more important than dying because mommy and daddy were too afraid of guns to teach basic safety
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• NP- No fear here- my kids did the safety classes- OUTSIDE of the classroom. You want them to have the knowledge, find a way to make it happen after school hours.

Sounds like a very emotional repsonse? Thinking with your heart?????

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Gosh, making time to teach something this important should be easy to come by. My 3rd grader recently spent 20 min a day for a week on different "don't smoke" projects. He wrote a story, made a big poster, learned a skit and watched a film! I don't recall ever seeing any 8 yr old "light up"!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I think it is a good idea, as long as the person who is teaching is knowledgeable and not making them afraid of guns, but a healthy respect for them.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 4:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Sounds like a very emotional repsonse? Thinking with your heart?????

Nope, only acknowledging that this obsession with teaching to the tests is making people rather myopic about the realities of life and what kids need to know to survive and succeed once they are no longer patted on the head and passed through if they fill in the right dots with a number 2 pencil.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I took conservation and safety classes in school. They were under Agricultural Electives. My sister still lives in the area and says they're going to start offering them to 3rd and 4th graders as well, and I think it's good. How do kids know not to play with fire or not to talk to strangers? They make time for those lessons in school. A Firearm Safety week would take just as much time away from academics as Fire Safety Week.

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 4:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2010