I want to get my son a pet...

What is the best age to get your child a pet??? My son is 15 months and I want to get him a fish... He has one in his class at school and he loves it so I want to get him one for home... Just a little beta fish(I think thats how you spell it)

Is he too young??? And If you think so what would be a better age to get him one???

JaYsMoMmY09

Asked by JaYsMoMmY09 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Pets

• i always got my kids pet rats....because they are very durable. they are very smart, they have a good sense of depth so they wont jump and hurt themselves. and they help teach kids how to handle animals. of course they are a bit more work than a fish but lots more fun because they can actually play with them. my kids also adore frogs. my youngest is 11 months and she just shrieks with joy when we get the rat or the frogs out to play.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• We have two rats. DD is 16 months and loves them. She is learning how to be gentle with them, and they are absolutely amazing with her. She loves the way they feel, and talks to them in hte mornings and feeds them whatever she is eating. They are a little bit more work than a fish, but they are also more durable and live a little longer. Oh, and if you do go for a fish, no bettas. I had one, they are not good fish for small children. A schooling fish like a neon or tetra where he can watch a bunch of them swim around and interact with each other would be more fun for him, I would think.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• foster from the animal shelter
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 3:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• If you want to start with fish make sure he can't reach the tank. When my daughter was younger she poored all of the fish food into the tank. She also used the net to scoop out fish and flush them just like she saw mommy do with dead ones. I ended up putting a lock on a drawer and storing all of the fish supplies in there. My daughter was born into a home with pets so I really don't know what the best age for kids who have never had them before.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• If you go with the fish...I would get a small tank with a snap on lid. One thats not too heavy for you to lift to put up high when your not around and bring back down again when its time to let your son enjoy looking at it with you.
    Also, don't overfeed it! Betas only need 2-4 pellets of beta food a DAY. If you give it more, they tank will become disgusting really quick and be stinky...and will be a lot more work for you and not a very enjoyable pet.
    My son got his beta fish at 6 years old and has had it for 3 1/2 years..it has finally passed on. I still wouldn't let him put it in his own bedroom until he was 8 because he would stick his hand in there to try to pet it,lol...and was forever overfeeding the poor thing. Oh, and be weary..your child may try to feed it a sandwhich, LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My 14 month old was born into a home with pets. We have a pomeranian and a min pin. The Pom is good with her, she is 3 years old and has had one litter of puppies, Cotton is very durable and won't let the kids abuse her! She was sitting on my son's lap the other day and my hubby playfully smacked him (son) on the leg and Cotton bit him (hubby). The min pin is afraid of the kids so, she steers clear of them, she is 2 years old.
    Anonymous

• I think a fish is a GREAT first pet. Just realize that you'll be the one changing the water for the fish. My youngest two sons have had the same fish for 2 yrs now. They have to help feed them and I do supervise to make sure that they are not overfed.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I hate fish because I always had to clean out the nasty tank. I do think they are cool for a kid to watch. My friend got her son a rat for his birthday and later got an unwanted snake in her house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• teaching compassion starts out young...
    so good for you..
    just be prepared to do all the work lol....

fish are good..make sure the tank i out of each though..wouldn't want an accident..
    pisces_chick89

Answer by pisces_chick89 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I agree with preacher's kid. Get him some brightly coloured schooling fish or some rats if you want something he can actually interact with. We have 10 rats and my 19 month old loves them. He feeds them and they give him "rat kisses" which he thinks is hilarious. They're not that hard to take care of just feed 'em, water 'em, and change their litter once a week.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 11:04 AM on May. 5, 2010