National day of prayer?

Do we really need it. I mean first they are not banning us from praying wherever with however many people we want. Also Shouldn't we be praying everyday anyways?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do not think a day set aside nationally for prayer is necessary, since most religious ppl pray daily there is no need for the government to make a national day of it.  They are not stripping anyone or taking away from ppl of the religious beliefs, they are simply trying to keep Church and State apart.

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I don't acknowledge it. It's silly. First they take great pains to erase all references of religion from schools so why bother with this sham.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Do we really need any holidays? I mean, shouldn't we show our love and appreciation for our spouses year round, not just on Valentine's Day. Shouldn't we show our love and pride for our country year round, not just on 4th of July? Shouldn't we gather around the table and be thankful for our families year round, not just on Thanksgiving? Yes, we should, but sometimes, we need that reminder to stop what we are doing and recognize something.

Anonymous

• Nope praying is a personal thing. One you can do when you want on your own time. There is no need for a holiday to do so.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I think it's stupid and a violation of the Constitution. Keep your religion out of my Government.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I call BS on it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:29 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with having your day of prayer, but why is it so vital that the government acknowledge it for the entire nation? The government is for ALL citizens. Besides, too many christians would be shedding ducks out their ass by the dozen if ANY sort of religious/belief recognition day cropped up for any other group and they wanted national recognition. Every year when NDP or that stupid flagpole crap makes the front page of the paper, I comment about the outrage there would be here if Pagans or Muslims wanted such an event, much less the unwashed heathen. Every year any christians in earshot get frosty and pissy and explain why that's just not cool.

And THAT is what is just not cool. Pray on your own time.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 10:11 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Yes... it is NECESSARY in a broken nation. And yes, we should pray every day... but why not set aside 1 day that we all pray collectively for our nation & it's leaders?
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

Because not every body prays and the ones who do don't do it to the same god/s/esses. As another poster said it is unconstitutional. Also if I go tot a grocery store again where every one is to busy praying to take care of the costumers and I have to wait 30 mins because of some silly holiday I swear I will smack some one so hard they don't have to pray any more to talk to god. Pray on your own time, don't waste mine. I pray on my own time and it doesn't interfere with others lives.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

This. Ditto what Roachiesmom and HotMama said.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2010