I am ready to quit smoking marajuana. Please no bashing...

I have came to the decision that I need to grow up and start making better decisions. I have been a on again off again smoker since I was 14 years old. All of my family smoke it, all my friends smoke it, and SO smokes too. Is there anyone out there who has quit while everyone around you still smoked. I know it will bother me some at first, but I have cut way down, I didn't smoke when I was pregnant and I only smoke outside at night now that we have my son. Any advice from any ex-smokers would be appreciated...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Health

• It is VERY hard to quit smoking (cigarettes, or other) when those around you are still doing it. I mean VERY hard! You will have to find the resolve to stick up to them and tell them point blank "DO NOT smoke around me! And DO NOT offer it to me" They won't stop right away even after you tell them to stop it! And you will probably slip. BUT--- that does NOT mean that you can not do this! YOU CAN DO THIS!! Stick to your guns and try to find a little something special to reward yourself with everytime you turn it down!!

((Big Hugs)) and lots of Good Luck to you!!

Anonymous

• I have never smoked pot, but I do have advice! You need to start to surround yourself with people who don't smoke and find other ways to relax. Join a book group or something that you can do in PLACE of pot. GOOD FOR YOU for wanting to do this! It will mean less money spent on the stuff, and better example for kids... they pick up on EVERYTHING! Even what you THINK they don't see. It would be a HUGE help if you could get your SO to quit too. You could be support to each other. If he continues to do it, it will be SO MUCH harder for you to stop. You have to make a PERMANENT decision to STOP. It is all or nothing or you will fall back into it.
    GOOD LUCK! You can do it, momma!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• don't be around people who do smoke. If they decide to smoke when you are around just simply remove yourself from the situation. You will soon see that the only reason they even want you for a friend is because you smoked. You wont be in their "click" anymore.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• well i was a smoker for 9 years and i one day just sad that is it i am done with it and i stopeed it has been hard but if it is something u want for your self then do it i still get the feeling that i need it but then i look at my boys and i say to myself do i want to see them smoke? they have helped me so much and they dont even know it best of luck to u and u can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• It is going to be really hard when you are surrounded by people that still smoke it but you can do it. Find other things to occupy your time. When someone lights a joint up, WALK OUT OF THE ROOM. Do NOT allow anyone (including hubby) to smoke in your house). If you have to, stay away from everyone that smokes, until you are confident that you will not be tempted to smoke again.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I have never smoked it, but I did work in an addiction counseling center and got to know a lot of people who were trying to give up substances. My 'advice' would be to consider going to a counseling center and seeking AODA group therapy or attend a 12 step program. You will find support there. I would also suggest you tell everyone that you are quitting and you do not want anyone smoking around you anymore. I hope your friends/family will support you in this, if not you may have to distance yourself from them. As for your SO-- it would be great if he would give it up too, but if he chooses not to then you may have to tell him to find somewhere else to smoke it. I think you are doing a good thing in giving it up, good luck to you!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2010