Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what happens if they eat a penny?

i was just in the shower, got out and my daughter told me my son (2 1/2) had eaten a penny...in case he really did, what do i do?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • Usually they just poop it out.
    BlooBird

    Answer by BlooBird at 4:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • Call the doctor and let them know. Most likely he'll pass it, but it could get lodged somewhere. keep a close eye on him.
    beckcorc

    Answer by beckcorc at 4:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • A penny? He'll poop it out.
    ObbyDobbie

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • My son just did that about a month ago. I kept him home from daycare until it showed back up. The doc said if we didn't find it in 10 days he'd do an X-ray to make sure it didn't get stuck anywhere.

    maxswolfsuit

    Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • I am at a loss for what exactly to do... this same thing happened a neighbor's son, and they took him to ER just to be safe. It ended up being lodged in his esophagus. It was currently not blocking his airway (they didn't even really think anything was wrong until xray came back). They immediately had to do surgery to remove it before it moved at all and blocked his airway. Before that happening, I would have just said to wait it out.. but if my neighbors would have done that, their son could have died. It is such an up in the air decision. If you or the hubby feel confident in CPR, then I would just call doc.. see what he says and wait it out. If not, I would go in for xrays.. just to be safe. And I just want to add that I am NOT one of those moms that take my child in for every little *scare* but just bc of my neighbor's story... I would for this.
    TRW3

    Answer by TRW3 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+to+do+if+kid+eats+penny I would try this before anything else.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • Wow anon, I'm sure this worried mother found that bit of sarcasm really helpful.
    beckcorc

    Answer by beckcorc at 9:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN