Do you "DARE" to do messy activities with your toddlers or you don't because you just can't stand the mess?

I used to be a preschool teacher. So, I have lots and lots of fun and messy ideas to do with my toddler. I get everything together to do it and then I start thinking about the soon to be mess to clean up! lol
One activity were going to do today is whipped cream with food coloring in it..I'm going to put her in her highchair and let her play with it,lol.
Its a fine motor and sensory activity. Kids love it, its non toxic.But it is messsyyy! With the older kids, its not so bad..they can help clean up.
Hey, did you know that a fun thing to play with is shaving cream at the table? Let the older kids (the ones that wont put it in their mouths) play in it and build with it ans it gets your table super clean and it smells good,lol.
The whipped cream, however..sticky sticky mess! I don't know, maybe I'll change my mind..wait till shes old enough for the shaving cream,lol.
What messy ideas do you have?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 5:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• finger paints. i'd put on old clothes. a larger mens shirt on him backwards to protect his cloths. then i'd tape freezer paper to the front of our chest freezer and newspapers on the floor underneath then we'd paint. with brushes and our fingers. there are water soluable finger paints now too.
    binker55

Answer by binker55 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I do it, but I cover everything with old sheets so we don't get a mess on the floor or furniture.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 5:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Hopefully before mid next month I will be out of the InLaws!! Then I want to find all sorts of ideas to do with my kids. If you wouldn't mind I LOVE IT if you could message me a bunch of ideas for a 3 year old and 9 month old. I think she'd love the whipped cream!! I don't mind a "controlled mess" It's when he decides he needs to see how many toys he can throw everywhere while mommy goes potty, or something along those lines that drives me nuts!!
    angeleyes0306

Answer by angeleyes0306 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• my kids love to take shaving cream and lightly mix food color through it. Then you gently lay a piece of paper of top of the shaving cream. then lift the paper wipe off the shaving cream with a stiff piece of card board and what you have left is beautiful marbled paper! But I don't know if a toddler can do that without making a HUGE mess!

If you are looking for sensory without mess, this is what I do. Add corn starch to boiling water until it has a pudding like consistency. It will gel a little more when it cools. Fill a large zip lock bag half way with it when it cools. Then add a couple drops of food coloring (two different colors) to each side of the bag. Seal it up with tape and give it to her to mash around and blend the color. It is fun and no mess!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• for toddlers I have also taken an old cookie sheet or cake pan and let them smear finger paint on it. Then press a piece of paper on top and peel it back. It makes really cool texture and color on the paper.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• another good toddler craft that we've done many times is picking fall leaves or spring flowers and leaves and making a collage with school glue. Messy outdoor fun!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My son and I bake cakes, cookies and wash dishes together. After washing dishes, I have to get a towel and dry the floor, but it keeps him occupied. It beats chasing him through the house. When we bake cakes, a mess is always made because I "help" him hold the blender. lol. He's 1 1/2 and we have a good time.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 6:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I have a OCD thing about messes, but once in a while I will set up the playdough, not messy really but to me those little pieces of dough all over the kitchen floor. His favorite though *shudder* is mud play. We will go into the muddy yard and have flinging dirt fights. I have done therapy so I can go through this. He has the best time.
    Anonymous

• My son is now 13, but when he was little, we did all kinds of messy activities. I teach preschool and I still do all kinds of messy activities, especially with the kids whose parents never let them get dirty. We just planted flowers and the kids had a blast with the dirt and water. We also put all kinds of messy things in our sensory table. We make our own playdough. goop and Oobleg.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Messes are not bad-- if possible we take it outside so i can wash it away with the hose. DD has always been good about maintaining herself.. She enjoyed drawing neating with shaving cream (she kept it on a sheet pan). We paint alot in the kitchen & cook all the time.. she also enjoys playdough.
    Wish I could find new stuff for her though. she is 3.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2010