Can dad cut the cord during a c section?

we have ours coming up soon, I'm going to ask the doctor anyway, but just wondering if anyone else has been through this. We really would like to do this.

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Mine did, very many years ago, as your doctor, tell him this is one of your wishes and I am sure he will oblige.

Answer by older at 5:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• With my first, he did not get to because he was a preemie. Turns out he was breathing just fine, but they didn't take any chances and wisked him away pretty fast. With our second our ob MADE him. Hubbs was freaking out because he could see more of my "insides" than he expected to see, but thought it was totally cool he got to cut the cord.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Most of the time no because it interferes with the sterile field they need so you don't end up with an infection. You can always ask, but don't count on it. Mine was not allowed to. Not that he cared all that much he was just happy that baby was fine and so was I.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I just had a c-section and they cut the cord but left it long and then let my husband cut it down shorter. I had him bring the camera in the room and the nurses took pictures of him cutting it. they also took a picture of all three of us when they brought her around for me to see for the first time. I think you just need to let them know you would like your husband to do it.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2010