do you think someone who is in army reserves should get just as much "praise" about being in the military as someone who is actually in active duty?

i'm asking because i find it funny that someone i know is always bragging about there child being in the army. What they don't tell people is that they are in the reserves. I think there is a BIG difference. They have all these stickers posted on their vehicles and home. They have a big banner on their porch. I'm not saying they should'nt be proud but i just think its kind of weird.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Our army reserves ARE serving their country and protecting it here at home. It was the reserves corp of engineers that rebuilt the levees in New Orleans after Katrina destroyed them. And some HAVE been sent to Iraq, so the danger of being put into an overseas war are just as real as that posed to career military personnel. Serving at home doesn't necessarily mean safe and sound.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• my brother is reserves but he just got deployed. to me, army reserves isnt that much different than army. JMO.
    Anonymous

• I dated a guy who was in the Army reserves and his brother was active duty. My ex bf did more tours in the Middle east than his brother did so I think they too should be praised. We didn't exactly have a good breakup and touring changed him BIG TIME so... anyway, we dated for a little over 3 years and he really enjoyed flaunting the fact that he was in the ARMY (esp to get out of speeding tickets). I never noticed his brother bringing up the fact that he was active duty in the military for all they knew he worked at the local McDonalds =)
    Anonymous

• I have 4 close freinds who are ACTIVE. One's in Virginia, California, Texas, & New Mexico. . . My cousin who is in the RESERVES is deployed to Kandahar Afghanastan. Im pretty sure his mom has the right to bumper stickers, flags, and banners.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My dh was Army National Guard with only two wks in the summer, however they have to be deployed just like those in regular active duty, just usually to home land emergencies, but some times over seas. He has risked his life like any one else in the army does. The only reason he didn't go active duty was because I forbid it. We have a chronically ill child and I refuse to do it on my own. Call me selfish, but he graduated top of his class, and has been deployed. So yes they deserve the same honor they run the same risks as every one else in the military.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Op here. can someone be in the reserves and never get deployed? This person i know has been in for 5 yrs and has never been deployed. I always thought reserves were the very last to go. The mother tells me that since he has chosen to go to college that they wouldnt deploy him.
    Anonymous

• OP until you join and get deployed shut your mouth...
    Anonymous

• They can never be. It doesn't mean they wont be. Him going to school doesn't stop it. His school would just be put on hold until he returns. My friends dh though was never deployed during his entire time served, however there is an additional reserve status after discharge they forget to tell you about in the beginning. If they need you during the three years after release from duty you will have to deploy. Though even if they are never deployed they ran the risk willingly.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

Wow how nice of you she is asking an honest question so grow the hell up and act like an adult will you. Jeez my 4yr old has more respect and maturity then you.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My DH joined the National Guard before he got out of high school, right after graduation his unit got sent to Iraq. He spent almost 2 yrs over there. I know the kind of thing he went through because before we met I was an army wife for about 14 yrs (yes, I'm a fair bit older then DH) my ex was/is a medic with the Green Berets.

DH was active army when I met him, he got a medical discharge because he has PTSD and it interfered with his job too much for him to continue serving. He hated getting out, but the nightmares got too much to handle. He's 26 yrs old and we will be dealing with this the rest of his life. Does it matter which branch of the service he was in?? Hell no!!

People that say that reservist or Guard are 'part timers' make me sick. They have just as much chance to deploy as anyone else, and you know what? They can bleed and die just the same too!!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2010