if there is multipl children and an infant.. and you are at a segnficant other family mem. house. would it b ok to disapline the older children for fighting if the infant was going to get hurt and after multiple warrings? and the older wasnt your childeren?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well really their parent should be the one stopping them, but I wouldn't just let it go on if it were me. I wouldn't be exactly as harsh as I would be with my own children, but I'd say in a sweet but firm tone "You kids need to stop rough housing near the baby, it's not safe. If you want to play rough you need to do it out side. Thanks guys!"

It's never appropriate to yell at, reprimand, or spank someone else's kids. I feel like it's perfectly fine to gently re-direct them though.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Personally, I dont feel comfortable disciplining other people children. I feel that the child parent should be the one to do that. In this situation, you should tell the parents and let the children know that it is not safe for them to behave that way near the baby and remove your child(ren) from that environment.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 6:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• If they are doing something right then that may harm the baby... I would redirect them as a PP said. We have to do this QUITE A BIT in our playgroup. If they are doing something that *may* harm the baby, if the continue to do it but no immediate danger, then I would go directly to their parents and point it out. The parents may just not have noticed. If it continues, without their parents doing anything, just remove the infant from the situation.
    TRW3

Answer by TRW3 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't leave my infant in an area where she could be hurt by other children fighting/playing/etc. But if that were still to happen, I would absolutely speak up about it to their parents.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• If the parents aren't doing/saying anything to stop their kids, as the parent of the baby I think it is acceptable for you to tell the kids that they need to be careful of the baby and ask them to go play somewhere else. Hopefully this will be enough to make the parents realize that they need to step in. But to "discipline" someone else's kids? Probably not a good idea.
    mimama3

Answer by mimama3 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I don't think its appropriete for anyone to discipline someone elses kids.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Yes. I've done this many times. I'm going to protect my kids, especially when an infant, against anyone's kids. If the other parent is paying attention and does something, that's great, but if not, Hell yeah, I'm stepping in. Verbal discipline. I wouldn't touch anyone else's kids.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2010