Is my (almost) 2 year old the ONLY child that does not listen?

My son will be two next month. He rarely listens to me if I ask him to not do something, or if I ask him to come here, or really anything I request. He is a very intelligent child, so I know he understands me what in the heck can I do to make him listen? When he does not listen how do I correct him? Now I get down on his level and tell him (in limited words) not to do whatever he was doing. He's too young to put in time out, I do believe in spanking (depending on if the child responds to it.) but he is too young to understand that also, I redirect him and sometimes it works but I need to try other things that have worked for other people.
Needless to say, I would consider my son to be strong willed! I find myself yelling and I DO NOT WANT TO BE THAT MOM!
HELP, will he ever listen to me??

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 6:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• NOP. welcome to the club of kids that dont listen AT ALLL. CLUB CALLED --> terrible 2's LOL.
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I don't know why they call it terrible 2's, my DD didn't really outgrow it til she was about 16 or so. Right after that she moved out and went to live with her dad, he couldn't do a dang thing with her either. Now she's 21 and is her boyfriends problem. lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• He is not too young for time outs, or spankings. My daughter is 2.5 and I have been giving her time outs since she was 1, and spanking since probably 18 months. She listens to her daddy no problem...but lately she just completely ignores me when I tell her to stop, or pick up, or any thing, just like your son. Today I was so fed up, I told her first thing in he morning...I'm not putting up with your crap today. You're gunna listen when I tell you to do something. And right off the bat...the first time she ignored instructions...I smacked her butt. I've only had to do it twice today, and she pretty much got the picture, that mommy's not playing anymore. I'm just tired of repeating myself over and over, and still getting no response. Good luck. They are hard at that age.
    Anonymous

• I started spanking for not listening. If she will not listen to my words, then maybe the sting will unclog those ears! Listening is not an option. What if I am trying to warn her of danger and she doesn't listen? I'd rather spank her for not listening now and have her get the message than to have it still be an issue and she gets seriously hurt or worse, all because she didn't want to listen to mom.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 9:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Time outs work at this age. My daughter is almost 2. I do not spank, but I have never had to. I do the 1 2 3 timeout thing. It works well for her. She hates timeout... so it works. I have a corner that I can go around the wall and hold her where she cant see me. I think at this point she would stay in one place, but I still hold her there (just make sure they cant see your face)... Timeouts are for 1 1/2 minutes, but will soon be 2 minutes (age)... Good luck, and he isn't too young. You said it yourself, he is very intelligent...
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• He is definitely not too young for discipline. Give him very clear instructions and very clear consequences for not obeying, then you must follow through. Be consistent and eventually you will see improvement. example - "Do not throw the ball in the house, or it will be put up for the rest of the day" I, personally do not believe that time outs are the most effective way to discipline children. I teach my children direct consequences for their actions.
    Anonymous

• You can spank him, he'll learn quick. It wont be on the same level as you or I understand it but he'll learn "that I touch the phone and when I touched the phone I got my but swatted I wont do it again." Time out is awesome!! My DS is 1 and a half. even though he wont sit in time out by himself I will take away his toys turn off the tv and pull him into my lap and make him sit for 2 or 3 mins. If hes throwing a fit Ill hold him until he calms down, telling him the whole time very calming "once you calm down you can be out of time out". my final step is time out in his crib for 5 minutes with the door shut by himself and he can through a fit in there. Teach him now or youll be screwed for life!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• oh lord no he's not the only 2 yr old....i mean seriously! they call it terrible 2's for a reason!!! except its not terrible more like horrific 2's and it doesnt stop at 2 yrs old...so brace yourself...you will need lots and lots of patients---good luck!
    momOF2Girls0710

Answer by momOF2Girls0710 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• He is NOT too young for time outs. I thought my DD was at 18 months, but she picked it up in less than a day! He will also understand spanking. 2 years old is definately old enough to put those types of actions & consequences together. You just need to be sure to discipline him as soon as he misbehaves. If you wait, then he won't make the connection. But he will start to realize things like, not listening = time out, or hitting mommy = a swat on the butt. At 2, they understand a lot more than they can communicate, IMO.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 6:47 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• he is not too young for time out, and a swat on the backside IF HE IS IN MORTAL DANGER - a spank should only come if he is in so much dangwer that you have to get it through like lightening.
    Timeout &, taking away toys can be very effective. One thing I did with our most difficult child, was timeout in the car seat. If she was naughty, she went in the car seat and was buckled in for her age in minutes. She couldn't go anywhere!!! If she arched against the buckle, you can spread your hand with thumb extended away from extended fingers into the hip region and they will cave in ( never hurt - just pressure against her pressure).
    To be honest alot of it was waiting til they are old enough to understand, as also getting it into my mind that what might be common sense and obviuous to me, is not at all to a 2 yr old. She has no way of predicting outcome and to expect her to is unfair.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2010