Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I really need help...I am afraid and scared for my son...

I think he may schizophrenia. He turns 13 in June. I remember him telling me that he hears voices and sees things that nobody else sees. But I kinda just blow it off...but today he has been saying that he hears voices all the time..they call his name and tell him that they need him. He told me also that when we are driving in our van that he sees a spiderman figure that is hoping along the wires and from vehicle to vehicle...also he told me that when he was at the bus stop once he looked over beside him was an animal that was white and only had eyes...and he bent over to pet the animal..but when a car came the animal just disappeared. he sees other things but wont go into anymore detail about that. he has also had a history of violent temper...pulling his hair...biting himself, saying he wants to kill himself...and that he thinks that everyone is out to get him..everyone is against him.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

Answers (21)
  • How could you just blow that off? Do something!!!!

    Answer by Christina2135 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • Get him to a psychiatrist right now!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • I am adding on information. He also says that he thinks that people are out to get him. that there are people following him...trying to get him into trouble. I am not looking for anyone to judge anything I am saying or to judge my son. He does have an counseling appt this Monday. It was about a 2 month weight to get him in. He has been to the ER but they say that he doesnt seem to be in any way possible of harming himself so they discharged him. I am so scared. has anyone been through this? can anyone relate and help me help him?

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • I blew it off because he was saying that the house is haunted and I dont believe in ghosts..but now after talkin to him I believe it is more that he is going through. He does have an appt on Monday with counseling.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • His school counselor can help get you more information on what you need to do. you can also find help at the police station, they deal with a lot of mentally ill people, and have many resources.

    Answer by Christina2135 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • Regardless of what YOU think....your son is ASKING for help...the least you can do is arrange for him to meet with a trained child psychiatrist. He or she is the one who is qualified to make a determination as to whether or not this is something you should be concerned with.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 8:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • Wow, he def needs some help. You need to first start out with his primary doctor and they can refer you to a child psychologist. They may also want to do some medical tests such as brain scans and such to rule that out. I hope that you do this very soon because this is nothing to put off. I wish you the best of luck

    Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • Yes, we have been through this twice in our family. Once with my cousin, his was onset around the age of 12 and my brother, his was onset by the age of 20. What you are describing is classic signs of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. When my cousin was that age, he would not go to the bathroom. He kept peeing and pooping his pants.Come to find out, the reason for it was because every time he would go into the bathroom he would hear voices and the voices would tell him to hurt his family. SO he stopped going into the bathroom.Thats when it all came together for us, his behavior began to make sense..he has a disorder...several actually.
    Just stay calm.Don't freak out. Let him know you are there for him. Have him start writing a journal of all his experiences. If it is okay with him, let him share it with you and you can reassure him what is real and what is not. Do that while you are waiting in to get a doctor evaulation

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • to be referred to a psychologist. You will get in to see his doctor sooner than a psych...and you will get in to see the psychologist sooner with a doctors evaulation and referral. I wish you luck.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • This is about the age that schizophrenic disorders rear their heads. But most can be well controlled with medication. And it sounds like he's got classic symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia. He doesn't need to be seen by a counselor. He needs to be seen by a true psychiatrist- one that has an MD. If you don't know where to find one, go straight to your local hospital and they will refer you and your son to the psych ward for an evaluation. That doesn't mean he's being committed. It means they will decide if it truly is schizophrenia or something else and they will start medicinal recommendations and referrals to doctors.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.