Is it safe to put cooking oil on inside of breastpump horns to reduse friction??

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 8:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't use cooking oil. LOL I would use Vaseline or Aquaphor...or some petroleum based product!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• lol all I could think of was vegetable oil and it works soo good. so vaseline would be safe??
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 8:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I would use just a little on the outer edges, wipe off any excess, and use Lanisoh (lanolin) cream afterwards to help soothe and heal. When I had my second child, the nurses gave me these reusable cool gel discs that I could place inside my bra in between feeding/pumpings....they were the BEST! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• you are probably using the wrong size flange-- call the pump company tell them what is going on they will have you measure yourself and send you the right size-- they are pretty cheap I paid more for S&H then the actual parts ..UGH

I am not sure about the cooking oil?? but definitely do NOT use a non soluble emollient
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't use Vaseline, it's a byproduct from when they make oil, the kind of oil for cars. I would use olive oil or lanolin.
    Anonymous

• ok thanks, I will call the company. I have been super sore after pumping and realized it was from friction. Uses the veg oil twice today ( just a little ) and no more pain!
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 8:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I agree that you should maybe see a LLL leader or an IBCLC to size you properly, and also that olive oil wouldn't hurt. I like a specific nipple cream made by Motherlove that is olive oil based.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• You certainly need a better fitting flange. Do you have a Medela? I had to go a size smaller, and I go two of them for $12 at my local childrens botique (it's all mother-child-BFing friendly). Target or Walmart have them, and they do carry only the larger sizes, so you could find the right fit, then purchase them there if you don't want to deal with S&H costs.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2010