Does my sleeping schedule affect my unborn?

I've always been a night owl but these days I can't seem to get to sleep before 5am and I usually wake up around 3pm. If I try to sleep during any other times I usually toss and turn and I'm tired when I wake up.
A lot of people have told me "that's not good for the baby" or "When you do give birth, he wont sleep through the night" or "You have to get the baby back on schedule" among other things. Does my sleeping schedule affect the baby and if so is it negative? (Currently 15weeks preg btw)

SmirkJuno

Asked by SmirkJuno at 8:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've always heard that the reason newborns have their nights and days mixed up is because during the day when your active, the baby is being rocked and makes it sleepy. Then at night when your sitting around or not being as active, the baby has nothing to rock him or her to sleep so that is when they are most active (most women say their unborn babies keep them up at night because they won't stop kicking) so IMO I think if you've got a backwards schedule right now and your active at night and try to sleep during the day, maybe your baby won't have the confusion most newborns do. However, it will not have any sort of "negative" affect on your baby. As long as your getting some amount of sleep to re-amp your energy you'll be fine.
    Anonymous

• I don't think the actual schedule will affect it, but the amount of sleep will. If you are getting an adequate amount of sleep, no matter what time of day, that's good. And if this schedule works good for you, you can have your baby adapted to it too (but remember, they still need sunlight for the Vitamin D and to help with jaundice! lol!)
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 8:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Actually babybmight sleep thru the night when he/she is born. If you stop and think for a minute, when you are up walking around baby is being "rocked" to sleep by your movements. When you stop and rest baby is no longer being rocked and wakes up. It's one of the theories as to why some get night and day mixed up. But it is not going to have any lasting negative effects that can't be reversed so don't let them worry you. It's a pretty rare occurance that a newborn sleeps thru the night anyway. If you're lucky they will right away, but all four of mine were over six months before they slept thru the night and it was fine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I agree with anon 8:15.
    Anonymous

• Thank you! That helped a lot :)
    SmirkJuno

Answer by SmirkJuno at 8:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• when you sleep has no effect on your baby--but getting 8 or more a day is really important-- and having your baby on a schedule is important but the times of the schedule are up to you
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I don't think WHEN you sleep matters as long as you're sleeping enough
    walkintherain

Answer by walkintherain at 9:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2010