Should I be upset?

My DD had a bday party today, while we were getting ready my MIL called & had picked my niece up & wanted to come get my DD and thm all go get lunch & hang out. I let my DD pick which to do & she picked my MIL. They get here & my niece (2 1/2) is crying, won't get out of the car saying her arm hurts. They said it started before they left the house. We try to figure out what was wrong but didn't know. She played with my DD but still wouldn't use the arm. My MIL tends to over react & act crazy about things. They took my niece home to her mom & my MIL said that she (my SIL) wasn't going to deal with this well not knowing what to do & what was wrong so she was going to have to stay at their house a while & help her. So my DD didn't get to go. So she missed the party & didn't get to go with the grandparents. I was a little upset. If they knew this before, why didn't they call & say for her to go to the party. BTW, my niece is fine!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• that sucks. maybe you could take her to do something fun tonight or tomorrow. maybe just ask your MIL to reschedule them going out.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I think if you rsvp to the bday party that you were going (your dd that is) and then didnt go for a reason other then illness-- you are teaching your DD how to be a bad friend.... youre setting a poor example-- as did your family with your dd--
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• SOunds like your MIL is more of a fly by the seat of her pants, spontanious person and you are a bit of a planner. Sorry!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I think you should have sent her to the birthday party and not given her a choice....that being said, I would have been a bit upset at MIL, but I'm sure your dd will get over it....and so will you.
    Anonymous

• The OP here, i didn't RSVP, we got the invite in her book bag & there was no number on there & I haven't seen them since because they haven't had class since we got the invite!
    Anonymous

• No, I wouldn't be upset about it. Sounds like it was just one of those things. They were probably hoping she would stop complaining about her arm, figuring that it was nothing and thats why they didn't take her back home sooner. But when the complaining continued, maybe grandma thought that there really could be something wrong and although that left your daughter out...she had to make a choice of what to do, so she took her home. Glad your niece is okay!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:11 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• i would be a little upset,. more for my daughter she was looking forward to having fun with her grandparents and chose them over the party. i bet she is upset,. comfort her and let her know that sometimes plans change. if this is the first time i would let it go. if it happens a lot i wouldn't be so quick to let my daughter go and be disappointed over and over again.
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 9:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• This is one of those "shit happens" things that can't be avoided. It stinks your daughter missed out but it was HER choice and she has to deal with the consequences of her choices.

Sounds mean but that's life. Have her call MIL and set up another time to make up for today.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• When I read through your question all I could think was sounds like nurse maid's elbow ( happened to my stepson when he was 2 1/2 and it is an easy fix, but it is worrisome for sure!). I wouldn't be mad, I think that this would be a good lesson in teaching your daughter that sometimes things don't work out and you have to get over it. Sometimes the best laid plans don't pan out, better to teach her that now then her never get a chance at being disappointed until she is older and then not know how to deal with it.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2010